Filling IPA bottles from keg. O2 degrading the beer/hops. Tips?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panderson1

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a beer gun and i "purge" w Co2 for like 5 seconds w regulator level around 15psi (shooting out) each bottle then fill and cap on foam immediately applying pressure on the cap/capper. I think i do a pretty good job.

But after 2 weeks there always seems to be a degrade of 30% (maybe more)or so. The spark of aroma and flavor isn't there.

I guess i should spray Co2 longer. Maybe 10 seconds.

Do you guys have any tips? Or is it a lost cause to bottle from keg.... only IPAs do this.

I purchased the Tapcooler. I use it most on flip top bottles that are consumed in a couple weeks. I had some left in the keg and a 4 week old bottle and could not tell the difference,it was a Kolsch so not hoppy,but I was.

15psi is too high for a purge. It creates turbulence that can draw more air in. Try 3psi.

How long you think for each bottle (purging)?

Also, can i boil some ascorbic acid and add it to the keg prior to filling? I saw the big thread but really overwhelming lol...

Back