Filling a keg with bottled homebrew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zwerski

Reaction score
Hey there beer people-

I have most of an extract batch in bombers that has serious chill haze for about 2-3 weeks before clarifying due to lack of hot break on brew day. I'm happy with the taste and eventual appearance, but takes up shelf space while this happens. Could I keg the already bottle conditioned brew and let the entire batch clarify in the keg?

I was thinking: Pour bottles into a pitcher, gently pour into the keg, using a beer bong contraption to minimize aeration, carb up the keg and let sit for the usual clarification period.

No. That is a bad idea for a variety of reasons, chief among them being the certainty of oxidizing the bejesus out of the beer.

I'm right there with you on minimal shelf space, but I really don't think there is any way you can do this without (severely) compromising your beer.

I like my beer to be clear when it should be clear, too - but I'll take cloudy homebrew that still tastes great over crystal clear homebrew that I ruined any day.

Just my opinion, but perhaps someone will have an amazing idea so that you can have your cake and eat it too -

Well alright then. Thanks for the advice. In the bottles it stays.

Back