Fill Hole in Kettle with what fitting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarkinBanks

Reaction score
I have two 7/8" holes in one of my kettles previously used for a weldless ball-valve and a thermometer. I'd like to fill/plug these holes with some type of weldless stainless bolt/fitting presumably with an o-ring on each side. I did some searching at the big homebrew suppliers and couldn't find anything. Has anyone found something that can do this?

Maybe I wasn't clear enough, I want to plug it so nothing goes through. Bargain fittings doesn't sell anything that will plug it, only ball valves, etc.

Two locknuts on a full nipple could sandwich the kettle wall, and a cap would seal it off. And if you put the cap on the inside it would make cleaning slightly easier.

I have seen a hex bolt looking thing with a locknut on the other end but can't find it for sale anywhere. I suppose the full nipple would work, thanks for the idea.

Well, that plug isn't going to seal a bare 7/8" hole.

I'd use a stainless elevator bolt:

92361A463L.GIF

mcmaster.com item 92361A463

You can get a small sheet of silicone rubber to cut a gasket for the spot between the head of the bolt and the keg wall: 2614T45

Then use a fender washer on the outside of the keg between the keg and the nut.
I'd go to Lowes so that you don't have to buy a bag of 10 from mcmaster. The outside diameter just has to be larger than 1".

Back