Filet mignon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Makes my mouth water but I have never trimmed it that extensively. Sure would be nice super rare though. Glad I have a sirloin roast on the smoker now. I am craving beef!

Nice. I just watched the Good Eats recently where they show how to do this. Those PSMO packs are available at CostCo for cheap here in the states.

yup... that's how I buy all of my filets...

fresh ground pepper, sea salt and fresh sage... and then pan-sear them in a heavy skillet on high until done. DAMN good eatin'.

Great descriptiion.

My butcher does all that for me... yes, takes him some time but saves me a bunch of money. I appreciate not paying for the parts I'm throwing away!

FYI, for those grilling, the thin end should be folded over and tied with twine to form a uniform log.

passedpawn said:
Great descriptiion.

My butcher does all that for me... yes, takes him some time but saves me a bunch of money. I appreciate not paying for the parts I'm throwing away!

FYI, for those grilling, the thin end should be folded over and tied with twine to form a uniform log.

I know you are too smart to think you're not paying for the trim. However, I would pay extra to have a perfectly trimmed piece of meat like that.

passedpawn said:
Apparently, I'm not. My stupidity has depths that I've not plumbed - it's one of the little things that keeps me smiling.

No. I've read a lot of your posts. You're smart. Smart enough to have found a kick-ass butcher. I just buy the loin and chop at it myself. Next time I will be much better informed.

No. I've read a lot of your posts. You're smart. Smart enough to have found a kick-ass butcher. I just buy the loin and chop at it myself. Next time I will be much better informed.

He's a 3rd generation meatcutter from chicago. He takes a lot of pride in that heritage, even though he's been working for the same large chain grocery for 30 yrs.

passedpawn said:
He's a 3rd generation meatcutter from chicago. He takes a lot of pride in that heritage, even though he's been working for the same large chain grocery for 30 yrs.

Sounds like a great Guy to know. Since I got my smoker going I have been making some special requests at our grocery. There is always something better in the back if you ask.

Back