Fig Mead Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ecaz

Reaction score
I've got 15lbs of local Wildflower honey and I see fresh figs in the store :D

This will be my first mead, and I'm interested in a simple recipe using all fresh figs. Any suggestions on amounts?

Figs are light on flavor, so I was thinking:

- 15lbs Wildflower honey
- 2.5 - 3lbs fresh Mission figs in primary (Chopped)
- ??? - What type of yeast
- Follow SMA guide
- Rack off the figs and yeast
- 2.5 - 3lbs fresh Mission figs in secondary (Chopped)
- Rack off the figs and age.

How long in primary? How long in Secondary (IE, How long should the must sit on the second round of fresh figs after primary fermentation)

Also, considering adding a chocolate based Rooibos tea to the mixture, such as 'Eye of the tiger' - maybe 2 - 3oz, steeped 15-20 minutes in a gallon of the water first. OPTIONAL.

Ideas / thoughts / suggestions?

Keep it in primary until airlock activity has slowed. Depending on which yeast you use, at peak activity you should be getting a bubble every 2 seconds or so from a 3-pc airlock. When that activity slows to about 20 seconds between bubbles, you can rack to secondary. At that point, you're going to have to rely on stable SG readings to tell you when it's done fermenting.

I made a great batch with figs (brown turkey) using Red Star Côte des Blancs, but there are many other good choices.

I used about 20 pounds of figs in the primary. The figs don't leave a lot of distinct aroma and flavor, but give tremendous body, mouthfeel, and nice acidity. The honey flavor will be very important; if it is good, you'll get a great result.

In your recipe, I'd consider more figs.
I'd also consider reserving a pound or 2 of honey for backsweetening as figs tend to rev the yeast up and will likely give you a dry result.

If your starting gravity is 1.105, you can rack when it gets down to around 1.010 or you can let it finish before you rack. When you do rack, figs tend to have a lot of tiny seeds and racking them through a nylon stocking is a good way to catch them. Once you rack onto fruit in the secondary, you can rack it off when the fruit looks spent - probably within 7-14 days; too much time on the fruit can lead to bitterness or odors in some cases.

I'd skip the tea.

What's the best way to back-sweeten the mead with the extra honey? Just add honey to the secondary?

Thanks MedsenFey!

I also appreciate the yeast suggestion!

No, you need to hit the yeast with campden to stun it and sorbate to keep the rest from multiplying, then backsweeten, otherwise the yeast will just continue to ferment the new honey, which you don't want since it will just go dry again.

Back