FG too high?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boru

Reaction score
So, I wanted to bottle my Imperial Stout today and checked the FG (after 3.5 weeks) and it's three points too high (should be 1.023, it's 1.026) then I checked my notes and noticed that my OG was also 3 points higher than I'd anticipated (apparently I'm more efficient than I thought ;))

So would it follow than that my FG would also be a few points higher and this is within the range of deviation? Or should I hold out for fear of bottle bombs?

FG is an estimate.

Any more info?

i.e. OG, ingredients, yeast type and amount, fermentation temps

.003 is nothing to worry about. Could possibly be range of deviation; sample temp, consideration of the alcohol content of the beer. RDWHAHB.

The OG was 1.093 and the FG was 1.026, based on the software I was using the prediction was 1.023, but then again as I stated my predicted OG was only supposed to be 1.090

It was a partial mash recipe. I'd have go back and check but I'm fairly certain I only used 6 or 7 lbs of pale liquid extract.

Yeast was Wyeast 1450 (Denny's favorite

Well. You've got an AA of about 70%. The expected AA for that strain is 74-76%.

Do you only have one gravity measurement?

How much yeast did you pitch? Starter?

Temps?

You are also nearing (but below) the EtOH tolerance of that strain which is 10%.

I did create a starter for the batch given the high FG.

The starter (a buddy of mine with a stir plate made it) was made to be able to handle an OG of 1.095.

The temp range might have been a problem. I stored it in a cool closet so it's possible the temp dipped below 60 briefly (it was a cool week) but I know the rest of the first week the ambient room temp hung out in the high 60's low 70's. The second and third week's it's been consistently 69-72 F in that closet.

So the recipe was:

8lbs 2 Row Pale Malt
1 lb Roasted Barley
1/2 lb Crystal 80
1/2 lb Crystal 120
1/2 lb Munich Malt
1/2 lb Chocolate Malt
1/2 lb Carafa II
5 lbs Liquid Pale Malt Extract
2 lbs Liquid Munich Malt Extract

Well, you have 7 pounds of extract and 1 pound of crystal. These can cause a slightly higher than expected FG. In the future if you still want 1 pound of crystal, use some corn sugar instead of some of the extract.

As for now, your temps are great. You may be at FG. But I would make sure by checking SGs 2-3 days apart. If the readings are stable, bottle away.

Latest posts

Back