FG too high

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Makeyermark

Reaction score
I brewed the Black Pearl Porter found here:https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f126/black-pearl-porter-ag-24243/

The OG was 1.060. Left it in primary for 9 days then transferred to secondary before checking the gravity again. After putting my secondary back in the closet, I checked the gravity on my sample. It was at 1.024. Needless to say, that seems pretty high. However, it is a sweeter brew and mashed at a high temp. Is this a normal FG for this brew? The sample tasted good, so I will drink it regardless.

considering what went into the brew, that doesn't seem too far off. Especially considering the lactose.

Did you use the same type of yeast as the recipie? It seems just a little bit high. Sounds tasty!

considering what went into the brew, that doesn't seem too far off. Especially considering the lactose.
Never thought about that. This is my first time using lactose in a brew. :mug:

fixie said:
Did you use the same type of yeast as the recipie? It seems just a little bit high. Sounds tasty!
Yep, used the same yeast. Even prepared a starter 24 hours in advance. There was no profile on the expected OG and FG in the recipie, but looking a few posts down, I see where someone else was at 1.061 OG and 1.019 FG. So I figure a couple of weeks in secondary and I should be on target. :mug:

Never thought about that. This is my first time using lactose in a brew. :mug:

Yep, used the same yeast. Even prepared a starter 24 hours in advance. There was no profile on the expected OG and FG in the recipie, but looking a few posts down, I see where someone else was at 1.061 OG and 1.019 FG. So I figure a couple of weeks in secondary and I should be on target. :mug:

In the future you might want to prepare the starter a few days in advance. 24 hours might not have been enough time for the yeast to replicate and floc. Depending on whether or not you cold crashed and decanted the starter before pitching you may or may not have gotten the full amount of yeast you grew.

In the future you might want to prepare the starter a few days in advance. 24 hours might not have been enough time for the yeast to replicate and floc. Depending on whether or not you cold crashed and decanted the starter before pitching you may or may not have gotten the full amount of yeast you grew.
I think I am going to prepare the starter further in advance on my future brews. This was my first time using a starter. I did not cold crash or decant the starter. I dumped the whole thing into my wort.

Back