FG too high - Worry about bottle bomb?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mandream

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just bottled my second ever batch of all grain. The recipe was the same as my first batch where I was very close to my OG and FG targets. But on this batch, while I hit my OG target of 1.045, my FG after 3 weeks in primary (no secondary) was around 1.018 / 1.020 vs my target of 1.010. Not certain as to the reason for being off. I had to use a different yeast - and while I think I was in a good temp range the whole time it's possible I wasn't. Could also be poor oxygenation prior to pitching. Just not certain.

I bottled as usual using priming sugar @ 1 oz./gal. Should I be concerned? I only learned of the bottle bomb risk after bottling. Suggested next steps?

Thanks in advance -

Mike

You should not worry. I don't worry about them. I do take precautions with every beer I bottle.

I'll put them somewhere were they won't make a mess. And in a container with a lid too so if ever this currently mythical bottle bomb should ever happen to me, then the shrapnel will be contained.

Once you put them in the ice chest or fridge and cool them down to drinking temp or below, they should not be a threat. Other than maybe slowly foaming up and causing you to have to clean up a mess after you open one.

Back