FG reading a little high.............a concern?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGREDIOWAN

Reaction score
So my original gravity of my American Wheat was 1.050 and I put it in primary last Thursday. Just checked it again today and my FG was reading 1.020? It's supposed to be between 1.012 and 1.014...............should I be concerned and why didn't it finish lower?

OG 1.049-1.051............1.050
FG 1.012-1.014............1.020
ABV% guesstimation 4%?

Ingrediants:
2 cans Unhopped Wheat Malt Extract
Muntons Hop Pellets 1 oz.
Muntons Ale Yeast

I plan on leaving it in there for another two weeks so it can settle out, but at least it's starting to smell like beer when I opened the primary for the first time. :ban:

I believe I have read that it isn't uncommon for extract recipes to stop at 1.020 due to caramelization of the sugars making them unfermentable. I think that is also the reason for the late extract addition technique.....less time for the sugars to turn. My second batch (extract) stopped at 1.020 and it tastes fine. It might be a little sweet but should be good nonetheless. RDWHAHB!

After only a week in the fermenter, there is a good chance that the yeast are still active and eating away at the sugars. It's a good idea to continue on with your plan to leave it longer in the primary.

When you are ready to bottle, make sure that the FG has stabilized. If so, then you know that fermentation is complete.

Do you even know that fermentation is finished? You can't call it "FG" unless it is.

Anyway, if it does finish high, don't worry about it.

Easy frazier........lol. At least I wasn't on here two days after I put it in primary asking why my FG was so high? My airlock hasn't been bubbling for about 4 days now and I assumed that there would be "some" further fermentation to go on to lower the number "some." I still plan on leaving it in primary for two more weeks just to make sure everything gets done that needs to get done. In a few weeks I'll take my three days of readings to make sure I'll be good on my timeline before I bottle to stay away from the whole bottle bomb mess.

66 to 68 degrees, I was wondering about temperature correction so you bring up a good point with that question.

Back