FG is way off!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradicalism

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I have a blonde style ale fermenting as we speak, on day 8. Made from this recipe: http://beerrecipes.org/showrecipe.php?recipeid=5373#sthash.KofXo0lS.dpbs

I did an FG reading today and it was really high...around 1.030. OG was 1.042 (I accidentally took the reading after pitching yeast).

any reason why the FG is so off? That would give me an ABV of like...2%?

Do i have to leave it longer? IT's not bubbling or anything anymore, hasn't for a few days. Was active in the airlock within about 12 hours and pumped away for 4-5 days. Not sure if I blew the yeast somehow, under pitched maybe? Or am just not patient enough.

I popped the liquid yeast, left for about 4 hours, and pitched.

Thanks!

Why were you pitching yeast on day 8? I would give the carboy a little gentle swirl to kick up some of the yeast that settled out and get it active again, and yes leave it a little longer. My bare minimum I usually leave mine is 2 weeks (and thats if Im in a rush), I usually shoot more for 3 weeks.

One thing to also keep note of is that just because bubbling in the airlock stopped, doesnt mean fermentation is finished. Somewhere in youtube land there is a video of an airlock bubbling with an empty carboy, so just keep that in mind.

Why were you pitching yeast on day 8? I would give the carboy a little gentle swirl to kick up some of the yeast that settled out and get it active again, and yes leave it a little longer. My bare minimum I usually leave mine is 2 weeks (and thats if Im in a rush), I usually shoot more for 3 weeks.

One thing to also keep note of is that just because bubbling in the airlock stopped, doesnt mean fermentation is finished. Somewhere in youtube land there is a video of an airlock bubbling with an empty carboy, so just keep that in mind.

Oh sorry I must have worded that poorly, it's day 8 of being in the fermenting bucket, I pitched normally after the boil, not on day 8!

I assume you're using a hydrometer that reads 1.000 in plain water? If not, and you're using a refractometer, throw that aside and grab a hydrometer reading and see where you are.

If your calibrated hydrometer reading is indeed 1.030, there are steps you can take but verify your reading first!

I assume you're using a hydrometer that reads 1.000 in plain water? If not, and you're using a refractometer, throw that aside and grab a hydrometer reading and see where you are.

If your calibrated hydrometer reading is indeed 1.030, there are steps you can take but verify your reading first!

In using a hydrometer and it was floating just below 1.030.

In using a hydrometer and it was floating just below 1.030.

No, what she is asking is if you calibrated your hydrometer. Fill up your hydrometer test jar with water and drop your hydrometer in, if it reads 1.000 then your 1.030 reading was accurate. If it reads anything else then we can adjust

Do you have bubbles clinging to your hydrometer?? They will really screw up the reading!

H.W.

If your OG was 1.042, you used Wyeast 1056, and you had significant airlock activity from about 12 hours after pitching to four or five days later, I can't possibly imagine that your FG is 1.030. The only other thing I can add that others haven't mentioned is that you might want to taste a sample. If your FG really is 1.030, you can expect it to be super-sweet. If the sample tastes "fine," then that should reinforce that there is something wrong with the hydrometer or the reading.

If your OG was 1.042, you used Wyeast 1056, and you had significant airlock activity from about 12 hours after pitching to four or five days later, I can't possibly imagine that your FG is 1.030. The only other thing I can add that others haven't mentioned is that you might want to taste a sample. If your FG really is 1.030, you can expect it to be super-sweet. If the sample tastes "fine," then that should reinforce that there is something wrong with the hydrometer or the reading.

It tasted fine, but not overly sweet at all. Maybe 8 days wasn't enough and I should leave it for a few days longer?

It tasted fine, but not overly sweet at all. Maybe 8 days wasn't enough and I should leave it for a few days longer?

Something is wrong. Either your reading is wrong (very likely) or there is something else going wrong.

Until you test your hydrometer in plain water, we'll never know and it will be a wild guess.

Probably the worst thing that can happen is for you to wind up with "bottle bombs." You can search and find more information on those, and the thought of having one (or more) would prompt me to figure out what was going on before moving forward. With that said, it seems like something is up with the hydrometer or the reading (and I'm guessing from my experience and your description that your beer is probably fine). As for whether or not you should leave it a few days longer, it certainly shouldn't hurt anything. While different people primary for different lengths of time, I'm sure there are many on here who would easily primary that beer for two or three weeks without thinking twice about it.

Second all of that ☝. Make sure your hydrometer is properly calibrated. Remember that temperature affects your hydrometer readings, so be sure to account for that.

It isn't unheard of for a beer to completely ferment out in only eight days, but given that you used just one smack pack and not a massive yeast starter, my best guess is that it's not anywhere near finished. With an OG of 1.042 you should expect it to finish out around 1.012 or so. Close the lid tight and leave it be for another week to ten days and recheck your gravity then.

Good luck!

I agree that something is likely wrong with your measurement rather than the beer. You had 1.042 wort with 4-5 days of airlock activity...1.030 would be a pretty shocking FG after that.

Back