FG is supposed to be 1.011 but is 1.004?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrMista

Reaction score
Hi guys. I just took a measurement from my 3rd ever brew and am getting kind of strange results on my final gravity. The instructions say that I am supposed to get a FG of around 1.011 but I just took a measurement and it was reading 1.004. Why would that be? It has been fermenting for 2 weeks and I just took the lid off the fermenter and it looks like there is still a head of krausen, in my past two brews I think that after fermenting 2 weeks that krausen had fallen. What is going on?

I also took my measurement right out of the top of the bucket rather than stirring it around because I read online that that is how most people do it. This is my first time taking a reading out of a fermenter. I usually just put it into the bottling bucket and take it from there. The reason I did it this time is because I used a smaller amount of yeast initially in my starter so I wanted to be sure that my fermentation actually finished.

It looks okay to me. What does it taste like/smell like? Did you take another reading yet today?

the software programmer or recipe writer didn't consult YOUR yeast, watch you crush YOUR grain, help make YOUR extract or analyze YOUR water.

those numbers are just guidelines

It looks okay to me. What does it taste like/smell like? Did you take another reading yet today?

The reading that I took was today to make sure I didn't need to pitch anymore for my bottling on Sunday. It tastes OK, a bit off. I think the flavor was mostly the yeast that I got from the top of my bucket when I was taking my samples.

I would take one more reading before bottling just to double check but I'm guessing your fine. You right about catching a bit of yeast in the taste test. I usually pull of a half cup with a dipper. After I check the gravity I stick it in the freezer for a mini cold crash before tasting.

I bet you'll be pleasantly surprised after 4 weeks of bottle conditioning and chilling.
Cheers

And re reading your post, it would do you good to let it sit another week or two in the primary if you are getting off notes.

amandabab said:
the software programmer or recipe writer didn't consult YOUR yeast, watch you crush YOUR grain, help make YOUR extract or analyze YOUR water.

those numbers are just guidelines

Dang!

Thank you PitchnGrin. I'm not really in any hurry so I will just wait another week (or 2).

Back