Festival German Wiess beer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony9i9i9i

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Going to bottle/keg my Festival German Wiess beers this weekend, I generally leave my beers to condition in the bottle/keg for about a month before drinking them, keep ales and stouts in the garage and lagers in an old fridge in the garage.
Should I treat the Wiess beer like a larger or like an ale, fridge or not?

Tony.

It is hard to tell from your spelling of "wiess" if you brewed a Weiss beer, presumably meaning a wheat (nee white beer) or a Fest (Wiesn) beer after the fairgrounds where Oktoberfest is held, the wiese ( Theresienwiese).

If the former, it is an ale, so treat it as an ale especially if you used a Bavarian Wheat yeast-- drink it fresh (as soon as it is carbed so 2-3 weeks).

If the latter, then Festbiers are lagers-- if you brewed this as an actual lager, treat it as a lager. If you used an ale yeast but want it to be lager like, then sure, age/lager it for 4-8 weeks near freezing.

Thanks Cyber packer, nice to have that definition, I'll remember that.

but to be clear, I've used a kit from the "Festival" range, its called German Weiss.

Back