Festa Brew- is this normal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I started 2 Festa brews 2 days ago.. After i put them in the primary i realized i forgot to get a hydrometer from the shop..I dissolved the yeast in warm water and put it in....i left it for 2 days and checked today and it seems like nothing has happened, not seeing any activity. I stirred it up a bit and did see a bit of sediment but not a lot...Is it normal for it to be done after 2 days? or did it not start at all? I will be getting a hydrometer asap to check on this but thought i'd ask here....What could i have done wrong if it is screwed up? and is there anything i can do to fix it? thanks!

Hi,
I might be able to help. I have made many festa brews in my day. This is not normal after two days you should have a good fermentation going that will last 4 -7 days.
But first a few questions:
What are you using for a primary ? is it a bucket ? and what do you mean by nothing is happening ? no airlock movement ?
When transferring the wort to the primary it is importatnt to agitate it to get oxygen in it. I would normaly pour it from a distance making sure to splash it around.
Do you still have the yeast package and can you look at the expiry date on it ?

Just using a pail with a loose fitting lid and a garbage bag over top.. Yeast was still good. So I'm not sure what to do now... Can I just get more yeast and try again.? I stirred it up pretty good when I put in the yeast

Can you explain what you are seeing when you say nothing is happening ?
If you are referring to no airlock activity? That is common with plastic pails even when you have a good fermentation going.

You should see some foaming action (krausen) on the top after two days and more after 3 - 4. You can always try pitching more yeast but I'm not sure that's necessary yet. It may just be a really slow ferment. I would wait another day and check again for signs of fermentation.

When you rehydrated the yeast, what was the temperature of the water?
What is the temperature of the wort right now?
How warm or cold did it get during the last 2 days?
Have you opened the lid to look for krausen or a ring of scum around the "waterline" If there is some it is fermenting.

OK will do. By no activity I mean when I take lid the wort is still. I stirred it up again so I will check tomorrow.. Thanks

still nothing this morning..not sure what i did wrong..maybe the water was too hot that i put the yeast in? I boiled it and let it cool down so it was on the hotter side of warm but not uncomfortable to touch...I guess i will have to try with some more yeast...does it matter which kind i get? I'm brewing the cream ale and oatmeal stout..

Sounds like the water may have been too warm.

The Festa Brew cream ale comes with Safale US-56
The Oatmeal stout comes with Safbrew S-33

When I made these kits I always purchased new yeast from a fridge and threw the one in the box away.

From experience I can say the Festa Brew cream ale is very good. The oatmeal stout is absolutely Amazing!!!!!
If you like IPA's then you have to try the West coast IPA.

Good luck with these batches...
Let us know how it turns out

Back