Fertilizer for hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use ammonium sulfate (21-0-0). Hops benefit from plenty of N because they grow so fast. You don't want a lot of N as it gets closer to time for them to flower, though, because N promotes growth and not flowering.

Been using some ammonium sulfate, but often it feels like the sulfur stresses the plants too much (pH decrease by bacterial oxydation). Started using more granualar urea. Would use more organic fertilizers in the mix, but my soil samples test really high for phosphorous and potassium, so I don't really want to add all that much.

Hops typically need a ratio of 3:1:2 N-P-K. 1:1:1 can do but is not ideal. Soil analysis can help guide your fertilization.

Have you had a soil test done? If not, do you know what soil in your area is like?

I know my soil is naturally high in p and k. Using a balanced fertilizer would be a mistake for me.

It might be right for you.

In the absence of a soil test, the only nutrient I know the hops need is nitrogen.

In the absence of a soil test, and not getting too technical, scratch in some Espoma Plant Tone or similar product in the soil around the vines. Fertilizers like this have have some of their nutrients in organic form, so they release slowly and safely to plant. They also have the benefit of some micro nutrients and are generally balanced. All plants need N, P, K plus micro nutrients.

Osmocote works well, though some do not consider it good for food crops,.. I use it on most plants still in containers, as it is very convenient.

I'd stay away form high salt chemical fertilizers, not an ideology thing, it is just too easy to over do it and burn the plants, but if you use well diluted doses, water soluble, formulated fertilizers like Miracle Grow or Peter's work well.

With any fertilizer you can add too much, more is not better, with the exception perhaps of a balanced composted manure. This stuff comes in bags, can be mixed liberally at base of plant and with soil, will also improve water holding capacity of soil.

I have mine potted, I started off with a roughly 50/50 mix of topsoil and dairy manure compost that I mixed a little bonemeal in. Last year early in the growing season I added some bloodmeal for a slow-release nitrogen, and followed that up with feeding some fish fertilizer that is supposed to be guaranteed not to burn, I think in late June.

I think in mid-July I added a tiny amount of potash, and another after I picked.

This year my bines are growing again. I gave them bloodmeal earlier on, then some fish fertilizer very late in May. They'll probably get more fish fertilizer in a week. Then in August they'll get a little potash.

Organic early season. Bloodmeal, bonemeal. Then osmocote plus once the plant & soil are active (early June for me). Then some potash after harvest. I was thinking I also added some potash when the flowers started to set, but for some reason it didn't make my notes.

Too much blood & bone meal around here and the skunks and rats will dig it up.

I think potted hops will have to be transplanted to a larger pot each year to keep from getting root bound, those rhizomes grow fast once they get going. Also, take care they do not freeze when soil is saturated in water, it will kill them.

I am not a hops expert, by the way, but care and propagation of various plants is part of my day job.

I'm no hops expert either. This is just my second year growing them.

I was concerned about the varmints picking up on the smell of bloodmeal and fish fertilizer, but I figured I need to feed those hops. I didn't expect I would have to keep my hops in containers this year and I know that those containers aren't big enough.

When researching fertilizers, I liked the idea that what I eventually picked was either slow-release or (mostly) low in the N-P-K numbers. I think of it like eating a healthy amount of starch before I go to do something physical vs loading up on sugar. My body should be breaking down the starch over time as I'm working, as opposed to all that sugar hitting my system at once.

I'm also trying to keep the fauna in the container healthy. With such a small amount of dirt I think that it would be easy to kill any helpful insects or microbes off. If I was working with acres of ground where I was growing hops I would probably approach it much differently.

I wish I could find something fairly high in potassium that wouldn't mess with soil acidity, and I do wonder if potash (0-0-50) messes with the soil fauna. My solution so far is to use the least amount of potash possible, usually something like 0.125 to 0.25 teaspoon per container.

I'd just go with a mixed organic or semi organic plant food. Not sure of what regional brands you have, but Espoma Plant Tone (or Garden Tone, or Bio-Tone, Holly tone is their blend for acid loving plants) is a national brand I sometimes use, I buy it by the pallet and is what I put on my hop vines, and they seem to like it. Has a fairly balanced general NPK profile for most plants, as well as micro nutrients and beneficial soil bacteria. We use it in our tree, shrub and garden installations, as well as in maintaining garden beds plantings etc.

edit; Bulb tone is their higher P formula.

First year growing, I am currently using a 5-1-1 fish emulsion. Will switch to something with higher P and lower N later in the season.

Various animal dung, blood, compost, rock phosphate, potassium sulfate, azomite, kelp, greensand, to name the major ones

Mmm .wow I feel like a slacker. I just cut a big chunk of sod and threw it in next door neighbor lot, dug a hole, mixed in a bag of manure, bag of garden/vegetable soil with time release fert and bag of top soil.

We have some 4th year cascades and chinooks growing. Wondering what kind of fertilizer people use for their hops?
just getting started on growing hops. my first plants are only under 9 inches tall so far but after reading its fertility needs (3:1:2 ratio)I picked up some "Shake and Feed" just so happens it is 12-4-8 .
81RcLKbjfaL._SY879_.jpg

We're getting an entire weekend of rain so I fertilized and scratched it into the soil between cloud bursts .

update, my hops are almost 2 ft up the coir rope. besides using the fertilizer I posted above, I water daily with a mild solution of Superthrive. I also just mulched with 50/50 mushroom and cow manure compost.

This year I'm just using the liquid Fish Fertilizer from HD. I've fed three times now and the hops are absolutely loving it. They are also in a spot that is getting plenty of PNW sun. New bines coming off the crowns just about every day, and hoping for an awesome harvest in a month or two.

update, my Mt Hood surpassed my Crystal ,and is almost to the 4x4 support 5 ft , it grew 3 ft in a week. the rest are doing great. I cultivated and weeded really good ,strung up the cables. I added a watering of miracle grow in the 3-1-2 proportions . I'm planning a dedicated barrel of liquid fertilizer and a manifold controlled by one of those automatic watering controls on a slow drip . I just need to find where I stored the controller. its a Nelson battery operated one.

I planted hops for the first time this year and mixed in some Milorganite into the soil. I had some bags of it around for the lawn, it's organic, and slow release nitrogen (6-4-0), so I thought why not? Plus from what I'm seeing, I'm glad I didn't use blood or bone meal as there are enough rats that make their way into my area.

That being said, I got all 3 plants sprouted already so the Milo must be treating them good.

Milorganite is great fertilizer. I used to use it on everything. I'd switch to a higher K later when they start to produce cones.

My cascade is about 20ft now, I’ve only hit it with Miracle Grow twice so far this year (2nd year) and maybe once last year but pretty sure my water is high in nitrates

just bought another container of the miracle gro water soluble plant food , 24-8-16 this time.
My hops are doing really well, putting out side shoots

I planted hops for the first time this year and mixed in some Milorganite into the soil. I had some bags of it around for the lawn, it's organic, and slow release nitrogen (6-4-0), so I thought why not? Plus from what I'm seeing, I'm glad I didn't use blood or bone meal as there are enough rats that make their way into my area.

That being said, I got all 3 plants sprouted already so the Milo must be treating them good.
I dont know about rats but I do know that blood meal usually deters rabbits. what kind of rats do you have?

I dont know about rats but I do know that blood meal usually deters rabbits. what kind of rats do you have?
Whatever one's live in the sewer. Last summer there was a lot of road work so it pushed them out of the sewer. Many people on the neighborhood had problems. I haven't heard so much this summer so maybe they made their way back.

IMG_20190620_152550.jpg IMG_20190620_152620.jpg

I pruned back most everything and put in trellises a little more than a month ago. I also gave them some bloodmeal. Since then I've hit them with a couple of small doses of fish emulsion, and a bigger dose today. I'm tired of just hoping to keep my hops alive until I can get find a permanent spot in the yard for them. I figure that if I can get a decent harvest this year, it might give me a little extra motivation to move them from pots to the yard.

Back