Fermwrap ability in winter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImperialDrHops

Reaction score
I recently converted my outdoor shed, which is uninsulated, to my brewery and was gifted a CF10 conical. I am trying to figure out temperature control and my immediate need is during winter. Normal nighttime lows are in the 20s but can get colder. Will a fermwrap be able to keep the fermenter in the 60s when ambient temperature is so low?

I asked Spike support about this when inquiring about their TC 100 and glycol chiller setup and they said their heater could do it.

Any thoughts?

Any concern about loosing power or some other malfunction that shuts the heater off? I don’t know what freezing does to wort mid-fermentation.

Dan

Any concern about loosing power or some other malfunction that shuts the heater off? I don’t know what freezing does to wort mid-fermentation.

Of course there's concern, but it's low. You could have a power outage inside the home and the wort would just float to ambient temps, although not freezing, and this could ruin/change the beer. I bet a frozen fermentation would just knock the yeast out and fermentation stops prematurely and I would have to pitch more yeast upon thawing although I have no idea.

Let's assume the power doesn't go out for this question.

The fermwraps get warm, but I would think leaving in an unisulated shed with ambient temps in the 20s may be asking a lot. But, I have no real time experience.

You might look into a space heater for the shed, maybe an oil-filled portable electric radiator. Get some sort of insulation put up, even if only temporarily. In a pinch you could help the fermwrap along by dropping a sleeping bag down over the whole thing to prevent the conical losing heat to the atmosphere. I'd start with a sleeping bag since it's the simplest option. One of those high-tech lightweight jobs with aluminized fabrics, etc. for winter backpacking.

Last edited:
Insulation is definitely in the cards, but probably not until next summer. I have a space heater but probably not big enough to work in such a big space without insulation. I may just try the fermwrap and sleeping bag idea for experiment sake. Hopefully it works.

Would there be a fire hazard with the heater inside a sleeping bag? I imagine in such cold temps the heater would run constantly.

Insulation is definitely in the cards, but probably not until next summer. I have a space heater but probably not big enough to work in such a big space without insulation. I may just try the fermwrap and sleeping bag idea for experiment sake. Hopefully it works.

Would there be a fire hazard with the heater inside a sleeping bag? I imagine in such cold temps the heater would run constantly.
The wattage should be nowhere near enough to pose a fire hazard. Besides, your temp probe will moderate the fermwrap's duty cycle; as soon as it reaches target temp it will just cycle on and off floating on the 2-3 degree difference between low and high set points.

So, I have a 14g SSBT Unitank, and am in the same situation. I have put a seedling mat inside the jacket, and it's set at 10ºC, but having trouble holding it. Currently the weather is ~28-35 in the garage in which it lives. I'm curious if the Spike cone heater will be up to the task of keeping the wort at 50-60F (~10-16C) in such a cold garage. I feel like I should just pick it up and see if it can handle it, but if it can't I'm out $90. The reason I'd go with the spike over the SSBT setup is the spike has a wall outlet that I can plug into my temp control system I have, the other one is a proprietary fitting.

Back