FerMonster Lid Stuck

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Double_Eagle

Reaction score
I just finished fermenting my first batch in a new FerMonster carboy. Problem is, I can't get the lid off. It is stuck tight. Maybe I'm just a whimp, but it is really stuck.

Any suggestions?

If you keg some Keg lube on the threads and gasket will help... Next time. have you tried running the lid under hot water?

Happened to me the first time I used it. I had to crank it pretty hard. I racked out of it first, though, so I wasn't concerned with disturbing the contents.

I got it off after my wife came home. I had her hug the carboy while I twisted off the cap. It was really stuck. I think the lesson learned is to make sure the threads on the neck of the carboy do not have wort on them from the transfer.

Thank you for all of your suggestions.

How is the Fermonster. I'm looking for a new fermenter. I just had one leak (it was over 30 years old), and need a replacement.

I have a Big Mouth Bubbler, and am not happy with it, the plastic is blistering (might be looking at two replacements). Looking for a cheap alternative. The other option is the 8 gallon Speidel which is $60, and I really don't want the spigot which comes standard.

Would like to know what you think of the Fermonster.

I just got a fermonster a few weeks ago. Second brew using it is in there fermenting..

I can't get my lid stuck because my gasket fell in when putting the lid on.

Hoping for no infection. I sanitized the gasket so i should be okay but still get worried.

How is the Fermonster. I'm looking for a new fermenter. I just had one leak (it was over 30 years old), and need a replacement.

I have a Big Mouth Bubbler, and am not happy with it, the plastic is blistering (might be looking at two replacements). Looking for a cheap alternative. The other option is the 8 gallon Speidel which is $60, and I really don't want the spigot which comes standard.

I'm on my 3rd batch and so far I like mine. I have two glass carboys and don't like using them (hard to clean and always worried of a split wrist!).

I have been using buckets mostly the last year and I have to say I like seeing the fermentation. I may buy a second and just retire the glass and buckets all together.

They are a better version of the big mouth bubbler. They seem thicker and no stupid lid sealing issues. Plus you can buy solid lids and customize the hole size based on your needs.

I have both, the Fermonster and the Speidel. Rarely use the Fermonster anymore, biggest reason being I hate using and cleaning an autosiphon. At first I was weary of using a spigot on my fermenter, but now I don't think I'd buy one without. I do have the metal spigot from Speidel, and was thinking about upgrading with some parts from norcal. You can use the Speidel without the spigot if you want, it comes with a cap. I do see that now you can get the Fermonster with a spigot. The handles on the Speidel are quite nice, as picking up the Fermonster with wort in it can be a pain. I put mine in a milk crate. To me, the Speidel is worth the extra money, but if you don't want to spend that much the Fermonster works. All that being said, I'm thinking about going stainless, so the Fermonster probably wont get used.

I'm sold on the fermonster! Other than the stuck lids issue, haha. I've been using a chain wrench when the lids get stuck. Mostly past that problem now though as I only screw the lid on just barely tight enough to seal. I love the big opening. I bought some grommets and custom made holes for my airlock and thermowell. The spot to rest the siphon on at the bottom works well, unlike my better bottles where the siphon always falls off. I have two right now and want two more. For the price you can't go wrong. $30 for a 7 gallon fermenter. I also love the 7 gallon size as even with vigorus fermentation it doesn't blow crud through the airlock.

I just finished fermenting my first batch in a new FerMonster carboy. Problem is, I can't get the lid off. It is stuck tight. Maybe I'm just a whimp, but it is really stuck.

Any suggestions?
I heard that the Vintage Shop released a Lid Opener for the FerMonsters

I heard that the Vintage Shop released a Lid Opener for the FerMonsters

Got a link? I Googled but couldn't find anything. Even check Vintage Shop's sight but found nothing.

I had the same stuck issues with mine when I first got one. I've learned after that first time to not crank down on them like I did with my BMBs. It doesn't take a lot to get a good seal.

If you do get a stuck lid, use one of these.....

61lFZgB3ClL._SX425_.jpg

Got a link? I Googled but couldn't find anything. Even check Vintage Shop's sight but found nothing.

I had the same stuck issues with mine when I first got one. I've learned after that first time to not crank down on them like I did with my BMBs. It doesn't take a lot to get a good seal.

If you do get a stuck lid, use one of these.....

61lFZgB3ClL._SX425_.jpg

+1.

Cheap and effective!

That's awesome that they have that. They don't sell directly and I didn't see it from More Beer. Wonder what's the price? If it's cheap enough, I may retire my strap wrench.

Now, if they could just release a 3 gallon version of their Fermonster, I'd be set.

Latest posts

Back