Fermentrack on Pi 4 - It's running in Docker, right? Can I install BalenaSound on the same PI?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkhanso

Reaction score
Plymouth, MN - terrible tap water for brewing
I know absolutely nothing about Docker. I recently installed the newest version of Fermentrack, which I think also installs Docker, right?

I recently ran across BalenaSound and would like to give that a try. Can I install BalenaSound on the same Pi as Fermentrack?

Since I have zero knowledge about Docker, after reading THIS, it seems to me that there's a Balena version of Docker? Or their own implementation of it that might need to be installed first? Honestly, this is way above my head.

Well, I know nothing about Fermentrack but a lot about Docker. Generally speaking, you can run multiple apps in Docker containers on the same host. That's pretty much the point of Docker. Looking at Fermentrack's install instructions there may be some configuration you'll need to do in order to ensure your new app doesn't conflict with Fermentrack. 2.4. Coexistence with Other Apps — Fermentrack documentation

This is a decent tutorial: A Docker Tutorial for Beginners but you'll need another host on which to install docker and mess around with it. Anything you do on your Pi with Fermentrack has the potential to screw up Fermentrack in exciting ways that you'd need to debug yourself. Good luck!

Thanks for the response csantoni.
Looking at the install instructions for BalenaSound, it seems to me like they have their own installer, but somehow it's connected with Docker? I don't know what all this below means, but doesn't it seem like it might not work with my existing Fermentrack install? I suppose I should probably just buy another Pi4 and run BalenaSound on it instead.

Below is from THIS page.

Software required
One-click deploy
One-click deploy is the easiest way to get started with balenaSound as it allows you to deploy and configure the application with a single click and without the need of installing additional tools. Check out the CLI deploy instructions below if you are interested in an advanced alternative that enables you to achieve more complex deployments.

Once your application has been created you'll need to add a device to it:

1. Add a device to the application by clicking the add device button
  2. Download the OS and flash it to your SD card with balenaEtcher
  3. Power up your device and check it's online in the dashboard!
The balenaSound application will start downloading as soon as your device appears in the dashboard.

CLI deploy
This is the traditional and more advanced approach for deploying applications to balena powered devices. Installing and setting up the balena CLI is definitely more involved than using the Deploy with balena button, but it allows for more flexibility and customization when choosing what and when to deploy.

For example, if you don't plan on using the Spotify integration, you can edit the docker-compose.yml file and remove the Spotify service before deploying the application.

Yeah, my takeaway from that is you probably COULD install them together but you'd need to understand how to configure the installer to coexist with Fermentrack.

Many of these apps use a simple installer that assumes it's the only thing running on your device. You generally can't use the simple installer AND run multiple apps. To run multiple apps you have to install it manually.

ETA: I don't know how technically inclined you are, but Docker is pretty simple once you learn how it works. You could probably figure out how to do this if you wanted to if you're savvy enough to configure these apps once they're running.

Back