Fermentor Temps and Probe location

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aclockworkblue

Reaction score
Hello,

I have been trying to upgrade some of my equipment. I have a conical fermentor with a SS coil inside to control temps. (I know chilling/heating from outside to inside is more efficient / better accuracy, then inside out, but the system is the way the system is).

I did some tests yesterday with cold water in the fermentor running hot water through the coil, and visa versa.

When I put my hand in the water I noticed that there were some great variance in temps from the surface, to inside the coil, to the bottom of the conical.

My question is when I add the probe to read the temp where would everyone think would be best placement, top/bottom/other? I am trying to control both heat and cold if that helps.

That a good idea to check out the system but one thing to consider is when the fermentation becomes active, the temperature should equalize throughout the fermenter due to the churning action of the fermentation. However, it seems it would be good to make sure your wort is at your desired pitching temp before adding it to the fermenter. If you really want to change the temp of the wort pre fermentation, perhaps you would need to add some kind of circulation.

Not sure about raising temps as the fermentation decreases but perhaps by that time a little stratification of temps would not be as important.

These are just my thoughts as I really don't have any experience with this type of temp control.

Latest posts

Back