Fermentor still bubbling after 14 days.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerri

Reaction score
This is my first batch of beer. The guy at the store recommended a kit to start, so I chose a porter, (Muntons Gold Docklands Porter to be exact) of which the instructions were more or less add 1 gallon boiling water, 4 gallons cool water to bring temp to 65-75 degrees, and pitch the yeast. So I did. It was bubbling within 24 hours. I *did* accidently push the rubber seal into the bucket slightly so the seal was not airtight for the first 24 hours. When I found the problem and remedied it, it was bubbling right away. The fermentor has stayed at about 66 or 67 degrees F.

It is now 14 days later, and the airlock is still bubbling about every 30 seconds. I am anxious to bottle, but I don't want to ruin it. Is anything wrong, or should I jsut stop worrying and let it stop bubbling completely before moving on?

It's fine, fermentation just takes longer at cooler temperatures. Once it gets to 1 bubble per minute, bottle.

david_42 said:
It's fine, fermentation just takes longer at cooler temperatures. Once it gets to 1 bubble per minute, bottle.

Or rack to a secondary and leave it for another couple of weeks, then bottle.

loop

Do you own a hydrometer? The easiest way to know when it's okay to bottle would be to take a hydrometer reading. If it doesn't drop for 3 days you're good to bottle. I would say that a bubble every 30 seconds, especially in the upper 60's, is too much activity to bottle.

Back