Fermenting Wyeast 3944 (Wit) too low.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhcp313

Reaction score
Hello all, hope your food babies are receding by this point in time from Thanksgiving.

Looking for your input on a situation I'm in with a Wit beer we plan to serve for NYE this year.

I pitched a 900ml starter of 3944 into 6 gallons of 1.050 wort at 75F on Wednesday night, 11/27. By Thursday morning, about 12 hours from the pitch there was some nice activity going on, and my fermenter strip read 68F.

That Thursday afternoon, I left town for Thanksgiving and turned off the heat (bonehead move) and when I returned yesterday the ambient temp in our place dropped severely, and the fermenter was quiet, reading 55F.

Assuming this beer only had about 24 hours of fermentation in an acceptable range before dipping into the 50's, where do I stand? I've since raised ambient back to the high 60's, and have rousted the fermenter, but am wondering what effects this might have on attenuation and the ester profile I was hoping to achieve.

Anyone had a similar experience? What was the outcome?

Back