Fermenting WLP300 at 62f

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jcoz

Reaction score
Has anyone fermented a hefe with WLP 300 at 62f? I brewed this recipe before I ha temperature control, and am used to this yeast basically exploding once it gets going.

This time I had a faster start than anytime before because of better preparation (proper calcium levels, o2 aeration) however the Krausen is very controlled an has not gone crazy.

Is this typical of fermenting this yeast at a Lower temp like this?

Anyone with experience with this yeast, would appreciate some input. Thanks.

I've done this and it fermented out fine, but had a noticeable sulfur note that took a while to dissipate in the keg. This was at 75% of optimal pitch rate.

This is fascinating strain. Over-pitching will reduce those classic hefe esters. Under-pitching will increase esters, but could also stress the yeast and give off sulfur. Temperature also has a strong effect over a 10 degree range.

I would love to see a series of controlled experiments (pitch rate, pitch temp, ferment temp) with this strain.

Sulphur? Hmm. I'm brewing Jamils Dunkelweizen recipe from Brewing classic Styles. So far no sulphur smells...pitched probably 90% the appropriate amount.

Guess we will see.

Sounds typical to me. I've never gotten the explosive, violent ferment in the low 60's. Still works quickly, but krausen is normal-sized and I've never needed a blowoff.

I usually pitch at 62, ferment at 64, with 30-60s of O2, and optimal pitch rates.

I've done perhaps 10-12 batches at 62 degrees per Jamil's advice. Gotta tell you that it's all good - I'm not changing a thing. BTW, you can drink this one right away. Maybe it's better in a week but, it's quite good after you force carb it. Cheers!

Latest posts

Back