Fermenting Under Pressure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigarcherynut

Reaction score
Well I'm fermenting my first time under pressure. I'm fermenting a Founder's Backwoods Bastard clone in my FermZilla. The OG is 1.120 and I'm using Wyeast 1728 and did a 2.25 L starter. What would be the best pressure for this beer? Excited to take my brewing to the next level.

Thanks!!

10-15psi would do the trick.
If suppressing esters is the goal you could always ferment as normal at a lower temp. What is your goal?

10-15psi would do the trick

Not doubting what you're saying because that's what I have read about fermenting under pressure. Thought I would ask around and on the Fermentaurus Forum someone told me not to ferment over 5 PSI because it will stress the yeast because of the high OG. Now I'm confused/concerned.

I hadn't yet. His results seem underwhelming for the pressure fermenting. Though he did only the one batch for the review and later in the comments did another, with both producing substandard brews. Bummer. Perhaps it is better served for different beer types.
Usually, fermenting underpressure is used to prevent the yeast from creating unwanted esters or undesirable alcohols. I personally haven’t seen any research to show it produces a healthier fermentation. Its not necessary at all from my point of view. Just use you’re pressurize capabilities for closed transfer, dryhopping, cold crashing, or long term storage

I hadn't yet. His results seem underwhelming for the pressure fermenting. Though he did only the one batch for the review and later in the comments did another, with both producing substandard brews. Bummer. Perhaps it is better served for different beer types.

I read this article. It’s a nice write up, but, he is comparing two different beers. He used two different yeasts and two different hops schedules.

“For the yeast I went with top cropped RVA Manchester Ale” (for the pressurized) “When I brewed this beer I split the batch into two 5 gallon fermenters and fermented one with London Ale III 1318 at a constant 65F”

“the pressure fermented beer only had 10 grams each of Citra/Galaxy in the keg until it kicked versus 40 grams of each in the keg for the competition IPA (slightly different than the original recipe). In addition to the different yeast strains (although both Boddingtonish strains) the London Ale III beer also had a pre-fermentation addition of 15 grams of Galaxy. I was hoping the pressurized dry hop would result in needing less total hops in the keg
.“

If I am reading this correct, he used 20 grams of hops in the pressurized and 95 grams in the unpressurized. Yet he contributes the fact that one beer was “underwhelming“ to the pressurized fermentation? My takeaway from this article is; if you make two different beers you will get two different beers, that taste differ.

I ferment all my beers (ales and lagers) under pressure at 10psi these days. I still ferment around the ideal temp for my yeast strain, though I have been fermenting my lagers warmer (around 60F) to speed up my timeline.

I haven't noticed any issues as far as yeast health, even in big beers. I do it primarily to limit oxygen exposure throughout the fermentation and transfer process. It is also nice to have the beer at least partially carbonated going into the keg.

I also pressure ferment. I mainly brew Ales and I have fermented under pressure between 3-12 PSI. I have noticed on some strains the pressure keeps the krausen from forming. Last brew I used SD Super at 5 PSI to start then finished at 10 psi. There was very little krausen.
I haven't really noticed any difference in taste between a pressure fermented beer and one with no pressure. I mainly do it to limit oxygen exposure and for carbonation purposes.
For me, I think pressure fermentation has helped in regards to shelf life. I have a NEIPA that I brewed beginning of Aug that is still very good. No color change with a slight decline in aroma but it's about gone.

Back