Fermenting two beers at the same time. Need advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan11

Reaction score
So i'm going to brew and English Brown Ale and a Blonde Ale on the same day and ferment them in my temp controled freezer. I'm thinking of starting fermentation at 66F and slowly raising it to 70F until fermentation is done. Then I was going to cold condition for about 2-3 weeks in the primary fermenter and add some Gelatin a few days before kegging. Any advice on this and also will keeping the beer in the primary for 4-6 weeks be bad?

It sounds like an excellent plan. What type of yeast are you using?

Keeping the beer in primary for 4-6 weeks will not be bad. If anything it will help clear the beer and let the yeast chomp away at any possible off flavors that would otherwise be hanging around.

From what I've read keeping it in primary that long should be okay, it's when you leave it on the yeast cake for months is when autolosys(sp?) begins.

I'll be using the British Ale WLP005 w/ a 1L starter and for the Blonde Ale California V WLP051 w/ a 2L starter

Sounds great.

You could probably go even a few degrees colder. Don't forget the fermentation itself will raise the temp a few degrees above ambient.

Sorry, I meant to say turn your freezer down a few degrees. I realized you were using a freezer from your OP, but I guess I wasn't clear in my post.

You're already on the right track, so a couple degrees might not make that big of a difference. But if it was me I'd be on the lower side of the 60's. That way if the freezer is set to 60, the fermentation temp itself will probably be closer to the mid-60's.

+1 to setting it at 60-62. I think 66 runs the risk of having the actual ferment temp pushing 70+ which can cause esters.

I have temperature control on this freezer with the probe taped to the fermenter with bubble wrap taped over the probe. So your saying it will still be warmer in the vessel than what my temperature controler says?

It might be a degree more during the absolute strongest fermentation period but I doubt it if you have the probe well insulated. You should be good.

Didn't realize you had a temp probe. That's a great idea that should probably keep your fermentation temps fairly close.

I was assuming you didn't have a probe, in which case the temp of the air inside the freezer would be several degrees above that of your beer. But it doesn't sound as if you'll have that problem.

Carry on as planned. Good luck!

Back