fermenting time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rick79

Reaction score
OK, i made my first batch this weekend. When i pitched the yeast the temperature of the wort was approx 60 deg. I set it in the basement where it was about 62 degrees. It has been 48 hours and only bubbling every 10 minutes now, and just really started bubbling since pitch. Not sure how long i should wait to bottle, or should i do a "secondary Fermentation", or should i leave it in the bucket it's in for 2 weeks. I've seen some report where they have left it for four weeks. What does leaving it set for extended time do for the beer? I have heard it helps clarify the beer. this beer is from a recipe kit and is an american light pilsner. I got this one because it was rated as easy. I asked a lot here, but thanks for any help you all can give.

Rick

OK, i made my first batch this weekend. When i pitched the yeast the temperature of the wort was approx 60 deg. I set it in the basement where it was about 62 degrees. It has been 48 hours and only bubbling every 10 minutes now, and just really started bubbling since pitch. Not sure how long i should wait to bottle, or should i do a "secondary Fermentation", or should i leave it in the bucket it's in for 2 weeks. I've seen some report where they have left it for four weeks. What does leaving it set for extended time do for the beer? I have heard it helps clarify the beer. this beer is from a recipe kit and is an american light pilsner. I got this one because it was rated as easy. I asked a lot here, but thanks for any help you all can give.

Rick

Do you have a hydrometer? What I would do is leave it completely alone for two weeks or so. Then, check the SG. If it's under 1.020, I'd cover it back up and check it again in a few days. If the SG is the same, it's fine to bottle it. I like to bottle in three-four weeks IF the SG has been the same for at least three-four days in a row. If you check it in two weeks, and then again at week three, and it's the same, and it's starting to clear, that's a good time to bottle!

A "American light pilsner" is the hardest style of beer to brew, so I'm assuming it's an ale version of a pilsner, and a standard kit when I give those directions!

I do have a hydrometer, and thanks for the info. I apologize for asking a question that is posted many times over on this site. The recipe is from "Brewers Best", and its called "American Light".
The description states; "that it uses combination of pilsner malt, rice and corn adjuncts. So that is all i know. By the way what makes an "american light pilsner" a hard beer to brew?
Thanks

I do have a hydrometer, and thanks for the info. I apologize for asking a question that is posted many times over on this site. The recipe is from "Brewers Best", and its called "American Light".
The description states; "that it uses combination of pilsner malt, rice and corn adjuncts. So that is all i know. By the way what makes an "american light pilsner" a hard beer to brew?
Thanks

Ah, well, an "American light pilsner" is a lager and requires specific temperature and lagering techiques. The recipe is harder, and it's just a very hard beer to do well. It can take 16-18 weeks to make, and specialized techniques are needed.

BUT many kits are done as ales and they come out well. Only snobs like me would point out the difference, and I"m sorry for that. But I am a huge beer snob and think a pilsner is a lager, and shouldn't be in a beginner's kit.

I like the Brewer's Best kits and find them decent quality and easy to use. I think your kit will be very drinkable and taste great. I am NOT trying to deride that.

Bubbles every 1 minute now, so it must be happening. My son thinks I'm crazy, i cant stop checking on my beer. I just sit and watch. Wrapped it in a blanket last night... Now i think I'm crazy. I got to just let it go for a while and wait patiently.
From what i have read here I should let this sit anywhere from 2 to 4 weeks. Should i check the SG at the end of 2 weeks, and then a few days later, and then decide how to go forward with the fermentation? Should i transfer it to another bucket sometime before it's done?... for better clarity? Or just prime and bottle it?

Bubbles every 1 minute now, so it must be happening. My son thinks I'm crazy, i cant stop checking on my beer. I just sit and watch. Wrapped it in a blanket last night... Now i think I'm crazy. I got to just let it go for a while and wait patiently.
From what i have read here I should let this sit anywhere from 2 to 4 weeks. Should i check the SG at the end of 2 weeks, and then a few days later, and then decide how to go forward with the fermentation? Should i transfer it to another bucket sometime before it's done?... for better clarity? Or just prime and bottle it?

Don't transfer it to another bucket- that's not needed plus then you'd have a huge wide amount of headspace. If you feel that you must transfer it for clarity, you need to use a 5 gallon carboy.

I'd recommend not transferring it, just wait until it stops bubbling then wait another week or 10 days. Then you can check the SG. Wait a couple of days, and check it again. If it's the same, and under 1.020, you can bottle.

Back