fermenting temps, too low?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PitRow

Reaction score
Ok, I have my first homebrew in probably 15 years sitting in the fermenter and I'm curious about fermenting temp.

If it matters its a BBS summer wheat kit with unlabelled yeast, so I can't really look up what the proper range is, however a couple days into fermentation I checked the temp and it was running 70-72 degrees, which I recall being at the upper end of ale yeast temps without running into off flavors. So I gave it the old wet t-shirt wrap and now it's sitting at about 60 - 62 degrees depending on where I check it.

In all my previous home brewing I never bothered too much with fermenting temps, just let it go in my garage which stayed on the cool side, but I never really cared to check. So this is all new to me.

Anyway, is that too low for ale yeast? Should I try to bring the temp up a couple degrees?

60-62 should be ok for most ale yeasts. Ideally you would pitch a little bit below your target temp and then warm to that temperature -- the early part of fermentation is the most critical, and fermentation itself will raise the temperature of the wort a few degrees.

Without knowing the exact yeast strain, it's hard to know for sure. My best guess would be that that 60-62 is very much on the low side of what is viable for an ale yeast suitable for that style of beer. If it were my beer, I would try to get it back up around 66-68. That being said, I've fermented plenty of beers at 70-74 and they turned out great! I try not to sweat the temperature too much unless it starts reaching extremes...I doubt 70 is too extreme for what you're brewing (my 2 cents) :)

Without knowing the exact yeast strain, it's hard to know for sure. My best guess would be that that 60-62 is very much on the low side of what is viable for an ale yeast suitable for that style of beer. If it were my beer, I would try to get it back up around 66-68. That being said, I've fermented plenty of beers at 70-74 and they turned out great! I try not to sweat the temperature too much unless it starts reaching extremes...I doubt 70 is too extreme for what you're brewing (my 2 cents) :)

This^ According to some comments I've read on this kit, it's more than likely Munton's ale yeast, pretty much the cheapest yeast there is.

Your fermentation temperature could be good if the wet t-shirt is covering the thermometer. The wet t-shirt will be cooling the thermometer more than the wort.
64° to 68° may be the optimum temperature for the ale yeast.

yeah I was using my I.R. thermo so it should have been measuring the surface temperature of the carboy that had the wet shirt against it. I did pull the shirt away, but I'm sure it's not an entirely accurate temp reading. I just don't want to pop the airlock out to stick a probe in there.

I'll probably pull the shirt off a little bit and hopefully get the temps up a couple degrees, but as you can tell I'm not overly concerned about it, otherwise I would have been on here asking immediately.

Anyway I did some looking online and I only found two references to the yeast that it might be and that's either Munton as noted above or Coopers.

If it's Munton then 72 was a little on the warm side and 62 is a little cold, since it's range is 64-70. And if it's Coopers then 72 would have been ok, but 62 is pretty far below it's range of 65-75. I suppose the smart thing to do would have been to ask BBS before I started, but oh well.

Either way, it's not going to change much at this point! We'll see how it turns out in a couple weeks.

yeah I was using my I.R. thermo so it should have been measuring the surface temperature of the carboy that had the wet shirt against it. I did pull the shirt away, but I'm sure it's not an entirely accurate temp reading. I just don't want to pop the airlock out to stick a probe in there.

I'll probably pull the shirt off a little bit and hopefully get the temps up a couple degrees, but as you can tell I'm not overly concerned about it, otherwise I would have been on here asking immediately.

Anyway I did some looking online and I only found two references to the yeast that it might be and that's either Munton as noted above or Coopers.

If it's Munton then 72 was a little on the warm side and 62 is a little cold, since it's range is 64-70. And if it's Coopers then 72 would have been ok, but 62 is pretty far below it's range of 65-75. I suppose the smart thing to do would have been to ask BBS before I started, but oh well.

Either way, it's not going to change much at this point! We'll see how it turns out in a couple weeks.

Good luck! Hopefully you'll be drinking home brew soon!

Back