Fermenting Temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry08

Reaction score
I have read a lot about fermenting temperatures. Now not having any means to control temperatures that rise over 25deg.c. I am astonished that I get great results on brews that have conditioned in temperatures of 40 deg plus.

My bottled beer goes up and down in temperature like fiddlers elbow and yet from batch to batch it stays true to its type. Could it be the yeast is selected for Aussie conditions.
I have a lot of bottles stored in a sideway that is open to huge temperature fluctuations but over many years it does not seem to affect the taste.

Maybe my sense of taste is shot but my guests still rave about my vintage types. Any beer to me does not come into its own untill at least 3 months in the bottle. I always put a few bottles away out of each batch to mature and these to get all the temperature shifts.

I guess in my case ignorance is bliss and as it does not seem to effect the taste I do not worry about it. I had a Draught tonight that was a mont old and it was subjected to temps from `13 to mid 30,s over a month.

To me the result was as each batch I have ever made no difference, same colour and taste?

Some yeast strains can produce good results over a wide range of temperatures. Dry yeasts, commonly, are better choices. High conditioning temperatures aren't too big a problem, but you can get sherry-like flavors.

You are probably right. I only use can kits and the yeast is probably created to suit Aussie conditions. It is a dry yeast that is supplied and the results luckily for me comes out ok.

The only concession I make is I keep the stored bottles covered with black plastic to exclude light which I believe can effect the taste over time.

Some people freeze water in 2L bottles and put them in a water bath, which also has the fermentation vessel (carboy?) in it. The ice and water helps distribute the cold, but knowing how many to put in there is key.

I believe they usually have enough on hand to rotate into and out of the water bath, so that there aren't extended periods of time with no ice. Sounds like a lot of work, but might help prevent off-flavors during the critial early stages of fermentation.

Latest posts

Back