Fermenting temperature too high?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zombie Zero

Reaction score
I've been having a hell of a time with keeping my fermenter cool enough. I've been running the air conditioner in my apartment to keep to a nice cool 70 degrees, but every time I check my fermenter, the thermometer always indicates about 76-78 degrees?

What kind of problems can this cause? Why the hell is it staying that high? My fermenter is kept in a hall closet, which is next to the closet with my water heater. Could that be causing the temperature problem? Should I move my fermenter to another room?

I've noticed that my fermenter only bubbles for two days, then almost completely stops. Shouldn't it go longer than that? :confused:

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

What is the air temperature in the house? The closet? If it's a cool as I think it is in Virginia then I have a feeling your thermometer or process is messed up. Basic heat transfer - stuff of different temperatures will, in each other presence, equalize to the same temp. The only way your fermenter should be at 76-78 is if the room is at that temperature.

I have kept bottles filled with water all over my apartment, my parent's house and basement, my brothers place, etc. and occasionally probed them for temp. This has given me a very good idea about what areas are what temperatures at what parts of the year. I would encourage you to do this in your place - but there is no way your beer should be at 76 after a few days in a 68 room.

Fiery Sword said:
The only way your fermenter should be at 76-78 is if the room is at that temperature.

I would encourage you to do this in your place - but there is no way your beer should be at 76 after a few days in a 68 room.

I'm not sure I, 100%, prescribe to this theory for a fermenting carboy of beer. With water, I'm with you 100% as there is no chemical process taking place, its just water sitting there...

What you are forgetting, however, is that with a fermenting wort, the chemical process taking place (yeast eats sugar, creating co2, alcohol, etc.) is generating heat of its own. It is VERY common to have the carboy at a few degrees > room temp during its vigorous fermentation process... I'm not sure an 8 degree difference will occur, but my thermometer stuck on the side of my carboy is usually at least 3 degrees, if not 4 or 5, above room temperature during its vigorous (read 20 bubble per minute+) or so fermentation. And once this fermentation halts, the temp will drop to near room temp. So, basically days 1-3 of fermenting my ales are at 3-5 above room temp and then after bubbles are at 1 per minute, it sits very near room temp (or 1 degree above).

What you need to balance here is the room temp and this natural heat created. If your 70 degree room is netting you 76 degree carboys, move them to the 62-65 degree basement. They will then ferment at around 65-69 degree range you are looking for...

I ferment all of my ales in my basement that sits around 60-64 degrees usually (little heat, no carpet) and they are usually always 65-70 during the vigorous fermentation depending on the room temp.

You are absolutely correct that there is heat created by the 'chemical proces' - and that it is quantifiable. I have never experienced 6-8 degree jumps, though, and something still appears to be out of the ordinary to me here. (Plus I was trying for the KISS explanation).:D

From what I can see it's in the mid-40's in Virginia today. If 5 gallons of beer are increasing the indoor temperature to 76-78 (with an air conditioner on?!?!) then I think you've got some radioactive mutant beer!!! :drunk: however, a closet next to your water heater probably IS 75 or more. Beer in there hitting 78 wouldn't surprise me at all.

PS - Fermenting at 76F is not going to be good to your ales. Try to get that thing into a cooler room, a water bath, or something from now on, to control your temps.

A waterbath works well... If the entire house is at 70F all the time (carboys at 75 during fermentation), then put the carboy in a large tub (type that can hold a keg) with a few inches of water. If the temp creeps up, drop a little ice into the water each day...

Fiery Sword said:
You are absolutely correct that there is heat created by the 'chemical proces' - and that it is quantifiable. I have never experienced 6-8 degree jumps, though, and something still appears to be out of the ordinary to me here. (Plus I was trying for the KISS explanation).:D

Ahh, the KISS explanation would explain your response then... That's cool! :mug:

Anyway, I guess my post brought it full circle then? :)

I would agree 8 degree jump due to the heat is much, as noted in my original post, but I have definitely seen 5 degree excess on some of my brews...

Move it to a cooler room or a waterbath from now on!

If your 70 degree room is netting you 76 degree carboys, move them to the 62-65 degree basement.

Sadly, I don't have a basement in my apartment... :cross:

I think I'll move the fermenter to another closet. The one at the end of the hall has a tiled floor vice carpet, I think that will help.

I kind of had an idea that the thermometer strip on my fermenter might be a bit wonky.

NOTE: It's not the end of the world for your beer at higher fermentation temps. I am 100% unable to keep my beers below 73F in the summertime, no matter what I do (I don't have a fridge setup to ferment or anything). They will ferment quickly.

The beer is not as crisp as my winter brews, granted, but it's still very drinkable and far superior to BMC.

texasgeorge said:
NOTE: It's not the end of the world for your beer at higher fermentation temps. I am 100% unable to keep my beers below 73F in the summertime, no matter what I do (I don't have a fridge setup to ferment or anything). They will ferment quickly.

The beer is not as crisp as my winter brews, granted, but it's still very drinkable and far superior to BMC.

http://home.elp.rr.com/brewbeer/chiller/chiller.PDF
works wonders and I love mine. Mine is about double in width so I can fit in 2 carboys and extra ice for lower temperatures. IIRC I can fit about 14 2liter bottles of ice in mine

texasgeorge said:

As noted above, what's wrong with using a waterbath an icing it down daily? Doesn't cost anything if you have an icemaker in your fridge and would allow you to brew better beers year-round.

As you noted beer will brew at 73+, and probably will be better than BMC, but it's definitely not in its best interest. Especially if you get into the 76-80+ range. You'll definitely be making some fusol alcohols or other off-flavors at that point...

SilkkyBrew said:
As noted above, what's wrong with using a waterbath an icing it down daily? Doesn't cost anything if you have an icemaker in your fridge and would allow you to brew better beers year-round.

As you noted beer will brew at 73+, and probably will be better than BMC, but it's definitely not in its best interest. Especially if you get into the 76-80+ range. You'll definitely be making some fusol alcohols or other off-flavors at that point...

Bingo - ferment at a high temp (IMO above 70) and you'll wind up with some funky tasting brews.

Just because it will ferment at 73+ doesn't mean you should. Build the fermentation box or put it in your bath tub with some ice, just get it away from your hot water heater, it's far too hot.

dcbrewmeister said:
Just because it will ferment at 73+ doesn't mean you should. Build the fermentation box or put it in your bath tub with some ice, just get it away from your hot water heater, it's far too hot.

Unless they like the taste of fusol alcohol and a nagging headache the next day... ? :cross:

i have frequently experienced internal temperatures (inside the bucket--the liquid) of up to 6-8 degrees above what the stick-on thermometer on the side of the bucket says (and indeed, 6-8 degrees above room temp).

ruined my first few batches due to excess ester production, etc.

bigass igloo cooler + ice bottles + towels solved the problem.

now i run the fermentation at the very bottom of the recommended range per yeast (usually several degrees below it, even) and this works best for me.

Back