fermenting stopped

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerns9078

Reaction score
My mix has been sitting three days yesterday it stopped bibbling i dropped a little sugar in it and got no reaction can i add more yeast to get it going again or what should i do?

What temp is it at? What yeast did you pitch?

Sounds like normal fermentation... do not rely on airlock bubbles as a good gauge. If your temps are OK and you pitched enough yeast, walk away from it for 10 days and then take a hydrometer reading.

I'm sure it's fermenting away, just... don't mess with it too much.

When you dropped the sugar in, was there a foamy krausen or a line where you could see that it had risen up to?

I've got a double batch of the cream of three. I put in basement which was at 63-62 f. Both started bubbling just fine within 24 hr. One bucket stopped bubbling other is still going. Moved to ferm chamber set to 18.3C (64f).
Should I do something to the stuck bucket or let it go?
Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Room temp my bathroom fluctuates i try to keep it around 70/but thermometer says 74-77 and the yeast was red star bakimg yeast 4 tablespoons 5lbs sugar and 60 oz grape juice the rest is water. Ot did foam very rapidly when the sugar went in!

Room temp my bathroom fluctuates i try to keep it around 70/but thermometer says 74-77 and the yeast was red star bakimg yeast 4 tablespoons 5lbs sugar and 60 oz grape juice the rest is water. Ot did foam very rapidly when the sugar went in!

Sorry... not familiar with fermenting juice with baking yeast. Hopefully someone can help out.

Making hooch may be different than making beer and wine.
That is a high temperature, even for baker's yeast fermentation. Not too different from beer yeast, and most do better 62-65, and produce off flavors and higher alcohols with fast fermentation at 74-77. Entirely possible it is just done and not fermenting any more. Foaming when you add sugar doesn't mean anything, likely just off gassing due to nucleation points.
You started with a gravity of about 1.046 if the sugar and juice with water added was in 5 gallons total volume. Check the gravity and it should be very low ~1.000 if finished fermenting.
I'm guessing you are going to dis**ll this with a recipe like this. Doubt it will taste good, but I hope it turns out for you.

Thanks for the advice not so sure it will taste good either if i had the temp to high

Back