fermenting/secondary question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taelmore

Reaction score
I have the start of a Raspberry wheat in my fermenter and have taken several Hydo readings after about 6 or 7 days and it is still at 1.020, it started at 1.050. The recip calls for adding the raspberry when it's moved to the secondary. Now I have like a layer of trub at the top, floating in the fermenter. It doesnt seem to have hurt it, but what the heck. I have never had that on any other brew. and should I wait to move it to the secondary?
At a loss !

Wait a while longer, another week is what I'd do. You want to give the yeast the opportunity to finish up their work. The primary (active) fermentation is when they digest the bulk of the sugars but they also produce some byproducts during this stage which contribute to off-flavors. During the later stage of fermentation the yeast clean up these byproducts. Your finished beer will thank you for it.

+1 on that advise. 10 days is my absolute minimum in primary, and more often it's 12-14. I wouldn't transfer to secondary unless it's within a couple of points of my expected FG AND active fermentation signs have gone.

Back