Fermenting Safale 05 Temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmanbrew

Reaction score
Hi all -

I'm fermenting a 5 gal batch of pale ale, about 10 lb grain bill. I used Safale 05 yeast with no starter and pitched directly into wort at 61 degrees. My carboy is stored in the basement where ambient temps stay 62-65. I brewed last Sunday (today is Friday). After brewing some ok all grain batches in the past I learned I was pitching at too high of a temp which lead to some off flavors but still drinkable. So after much research I did pitch at a much better temp this time 61. Monitoring the temps the last few days, wort did get to about 67-68 degrees after 3 days during the peak fermentation. Today, the wort temp is 62 and kraussen is dropping. I usually don't rack to secondary and leave in primary for 2 weeks. Is it ok to let this ride out at 62-63 degrees for another week? I'm not sure if the yeast will clean up the leftovers. I have a space heater available that I could use to ramp the temp a bit if needed but was hoping to avoid it. Thanks in advance! Brian

it will be fine, you will make beer. 05 is great, and will work through a variety of temps.

Latest posts

Back