Fermenting question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
My latest brew has been sitting in the closet at around 68 degrees for about a week. Since I seem to have found a nice way to keep my temps regulated I was thinking of maybe trying to jump the temp up for a week to see how the yeast reacts. It is a Pale Ale that will be dry hopped next week after two weeks in the bucket. I used US05 yeast and have kept it at a nice 68 to 69 degrees. My thought was maybe jumping it up to about 70 to see how that goes. I know I have read some recipes do that, but wondered if it is the right thing to do. Any input would be appreciated. RR

Won’t hurt it. If any sugar is left it will finish it faster. At this point you definitely do not have to worry about the temp getting into the 70s

My latest brew has been sitting in the closet at around 68 degrees for about a week. Since I seem to have found a nice way to keep my temps regulated I was thinking of maybe trying to jump the temp up for a week to see how the yeast reacts. It is a Pale Ale that will be dry hopped next week after two weeks in the bucket. I used US05 yeast and have kept it at a nice 68 to 69 degrees. My thought was maybe jumping it up to about 70 to see how that goes. I know I have read some recipes do that, but wondered if it is the right thing to do. Any input would be appreciated. RR
As mentioned I doubt it will hurt anything, as long as you keep the temperature within the recommended range of the yeast. If there's anything left to ferment it should help that along.

The only other comment I would add is to make sure whatever actions you decide to try in the future, do so fully understanding why you're doing them. Trying things "to see how it goes" without truly understanding why you're doing it, and what can result, is probably not a good reason for doing so in the first place.

whatever actions you decide to try in the future, do so fully understanding why you're doing them. Trying things "to see how it goes" without truly understanding why you're doing it, and what can result, is probably not a good reason for doing so in the first place.
I couldn’t agree more. The old survival school adage is “it’s not whether you go left or right, it’s why you go left or right”.

Personally, I wouldn’t raise the temp. There’s no reason to. It’s going to sit another week while dry hopping. 5 to 7 days will have more of an affect on FG than 1 or 2 degrees.

Also, are these ambient closet temps you’re referencing or is that the actual temp of the fermenting beer? Fermentation can increase temp by 5-10 degrees so that could be a big difference.

When I use US-05 I actively keep the fermenting beer at around 68 degrees for the first few days while the yeast are most active. Once things slow down I stop actively trying to keep it at that temperature and let ambient temperature take over. In my case my house generally stays between 66-70 degrees, so it doesn't change much, unless we're going through a heatwave. I usually keep US-05 beers in the fermenter for 18-21 days and then transfer to the keg. The nice thing about US-05 is that it has a fairly wide temperature range where it's happy.

After a week in the fermenter the temperature isn't critical as long as you don't get the beer so hot it kills the yeast. The compounds that you care about are produced when the yeast are actively fermenting and after a week (usually 3-4 days for an ale) the yeast have pretty much run out of sugars. Here's a short article for you so you know better how yeast works in making beer.

http://www.brewgeeks.com/the-life-cycle-of-yeast.html

After a week in the fermenter the temperature isn't critical as long as you don't get the beer so hot it kills the yeast. The compounds that you care about are produced when the yeast are actively fermenting and after a week (usually 3-4 days for an ale) the yeast have pretty much run out of sugars. Here's a short article for you so you know better how yeast works in making beer.

http://www.brewgeeks.com/the-life-cycle-of-yeast.html
Awesome, thanks. I am thinking maybe I will dry hop in the next day or two so it is in the keg and ready to try while I am on vacation. I am really looking forward to trying this one. Thanks again RR

Ambient temp or beer temp at 68F? Ambient at 68F could be 5-10F higher. US05 at 68F beer temp is great. Maybe not so much 10 degrees higher.

Ambient temp or beer temp at 68F? Ambient at 68F could be 5-10F higher. US05 at 68F beer temp is great. Maybe not so much 10 degrees higher.
I put the probe from the Inkbird on the lid of my fermenter bucket. So I guess it is ambient, but the yeast was doing it's thing and reacting as all the dry yeasts I have used in the past with successful results, so I am hopeful. My OG was at 1.055 and my measure gravity a day or two ago was at 1.016 if I remember correctly.
Edit: I just checked my notes, and the gravity in the fementer is about 1.006. Little lower than I expected, so not sure what happened, but the yeast sure seemed to have pigged out. LOL.

That puts my in the ABV range that the instructions say. I sampled the beer out of the hydrometer and it tasted pretty darn good for warm flat beer. LOL.

I am still working thru my process for fermentation, and I will admit the closet is probably not the best way, but it is all I have. I have a Ispendel but it did not seem to want to connect this time, so wort temp is unknown. I appreciate your comments as well as all comments posted. I know my process is far from ideal, but it is what I have at this point to work with, and other than maybe one batch, most have come out drinkable. LOL.

Once again, thank you for the input, I certainly appreciate it.

Last edited:
Checked gravity this morning, still at about 1.006 or so. So, tomorrow morning the dry hops go in. 5 days of that, then we keg, cold crash and carb. i am hopeful for this one as warm and flat it tasted pretty good. Stay tuned. RR

Back