Fermenting Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Centexbear

Reaction score
If your brew has been in the primary for 1.5 weeks and it has reached its Final Specific Gravity, do you bottle it or let it sit to let the yeast continue clearning it up?

I've reached final SG and don't know whether to let it sit or continue fermenting. If I don't bottle tonight, I won't be able to bottle for another week and a half, thus making it ferment for almost 4 weeks. Oh and I put it in the secondary fermenter (glass carboy) about 5 days ago. Directions called for 1 week in primary and 1 week in secondary but I know from reading here that longer can be better and the directions are only general guidelines.

THanks guys!

Jeff

Directions are designed to sell kits. They would sell a lot less to new brewers if they stated a 4 week fermentation process so they suggest the minimum.

You should wait. You'll be pleased with how much further it clears up.

Bend & sd, thanks for the quick reply. Perfect, that's exactly what I was hoping for.

Trying to get out of town for a vacation and the last thing I need to add to the list is a bottling/cleaning session.

Wait it will be. Hopefully, it will taste like beer (not from the waiting but only due to my newbie 1st time rookie effort!)

Let it sit. However with few yeasts (Wyeast High Gravity 3787) I have come across information that states not to leave it on the yeast cake too long as this particular strain can be known to give some unwanted funkiness.

Back