Fermenting on oak cubes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superlite27

Reaction score
I recently cooked up a batch of elderberry wine, and after a fast ferment (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f25/first-elderberry-fast-ferment-272731/) it stopped bubbling completely. So I racked into a glass secondary for about a week in which the lees built up rather quickly (Still no bubbles from the airlock). I figured it had stabilized, so I racked again to get it off the lees, and since it was down a little low on the carboy, I decided to top off with about a quart of Welch's grape and 2 lbs. of sugar to backsweeten since it was rocket fuel when sampled. I also added about 2.5 oz. of medium toast, American oak cubes.

Well, after adding the sugar, the ferment evidently fired back up, as it is now bubbling about one bubble every minute. (I can see it "fizzing".)

Question: I planned on simply ageing it on the oak cubes. Will fermenting it on them cause any problems? What effect will this have, in your opinion?

No problem fermenting on oak, I normally put oak in primary if I'm going for a lower profile of oak since some of the aroma compounds seem to get eatin up during fermentation. If anything you might find yourself wanting to add more oak later. That added sugar and grape juice will give your rocket fuel a decent boost, but I think you're on your way to a nice wine. Did you plan on having it finish totally dry or were you going to sweeten it up?

Did you plan on having it finish totally dry or were you going to sweeten it up?

I had hoped to have such a high SG that the yeast would reach their alcohol limit and the ferment would end leaving residual sugar, hence: lightly sweet. I believe I messed the entire thing up as I added the amount of sugar directed by the recipe to water...then filled my primary that already contained the must. As there was more sugar/water than would fit in the bucket, my ratio inevitable changed as I didn't add the entire amount of sugar/water. (In hindsight, I should have added the sugar to the must, then topped off with water.)

I'm not very experienced. This is only my second wine. Evidently, I was a little shaky on the sweetening process. If it does, indeed, finish dry, I will probably (correct me if I'm wrong) add sorbate to difinitively stop fermentation, and then backsweeten mildly. I don't want it supersweet, nor do I want it bone dry.

As an aside: After further research, I do believe I would have been better off using Lalvin D47. Oh, well. In the famous words of most brewers (As well as the Milwaukee Brewers), "Wait 'till next year!".

I do like being able to plan the OG to bring me down to the FG to get a little residual sweetness, but lately I've been finishing them bone dry and backsweetening with a similar juice or concentrate. It gives me a more calculated idea of how much sweetness I prefer in different wines, i.e. 3% Residual Sugar.
It sounds like your worse problem is that you might have a little lower ABV and it might be a little drier than you'd prefer, which you can fix.
You're correct about adding sorbate, but remember to give it a couple of days to work in the wine before adding sugars, also I'd add some potassium metabisulfite with it. It won't stop fermentation, it stops the new reproduction.
Have you tasted it at all lately? I think an off dry oaked elderberrys sounds pretty cool, good luck.

Friendly question: If you are adding sorbate to stop further yeast from renewing then what does the metabisulfate do at this point?

From what I read the k meta does a bunch of things but when you use it to stabilize with sorbate they work together. The k meta stops yeast growth and helps sorbate do its job better (stop yeast reproduction). So once the remaining yeast (who cant grow and are sterile) die after a couple days your good to backsweeten.

Ryan

Ahhh. Thanks for the advice. It's currently fizzing right away. I plan on simply letting it set for awhile. I will definately add k-meta and sorbate several days before backsweetening. (I also plan to let it bulk age for about a month after doing so and before bottling. Good idea? Yes/no?) Any advice on the amount of each to add? I have pretty close measurement of five gallons (give or take a few ounces).

For k meta you use 1/4 tsp per 5 gallons and for sorbate you use 1/2 tsp per gallon. Take like 1/4 cup water or your wine and heat it up, then add the k meta and sorbate to dissolve. Pour the mix in a fresh carboy and rack your wine onto the mixture. Some people add the k meta first, wait 15 minutes and then add the sorbate...not sure why, I'm sure there is a reason but I don't know it.

Ryan

Back