Fermenting mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chipperjones

Reaction score
Hey guys, first time brewing here. I made the dunce mistake of not writing down when I started my brew and also not writing down the original gravity. It's now been roughly 4 weeks (maybe longer), the mead cleared up two weeks ago. Now I'm not sure when to bottle. I made 1 gallon of mead, with 2 pounds of honey, 1 cut up orange, and 1 packet of Lalvin D-47. When I shine a flashlight to the mead, I still see micro bubbles rising, but they are very few. Maybe a dozen or so. Any thoughts on when I should bottle? Should I absolutely wait for there to be absolutely no bubbles? I had added some yeast nutrient two weeks ago, should I add some again?
You guys have been so helpful, thanks to all of you!

Measure the SG and taste it. Do you like the taste? Is the SG close to 1.000?

if you like the taste and the Sg is close to 1.000 then transfer to another container and let sit a few more weeks, it’ll continue to clear.

mid you like the taste and it is above 1.000 stabilize then transfer.

if you don’t like the taste... what don’t you like?

It is at 1.000, it's completely clear, it taste like untasty medicine (though I hear it's supposed to taste like that till it ages?) Definitely taste the alcohol, very dry and unsweet (though I expect it would be since I was told 2 pounds isn't near enough honey). The dryness isn't a problem since I actually like dry white wines the best. It's not a pleasant taste though, if I had opened a bottle of something and it tasted like this I'd definitely throw it out. I wish I had sophisticated taste buds to help inform you, but all I can say is that it's very medicinal with a hint of orange. I've been trying to grow accustomed to bourbon the past few months, and this tingles my tongue in the same way bourbon does.

You could also stabilize it and adjust the flavor by adding , honey, vanilla, oak etc depending on what you like.

you could also rack it over some fruit to add flavor as well. I like to rack over blueberries and mine ends up more like a red wine.

Back