Fermenting Malta

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrokenArmBrewing

Reaction score
So I've found be trolling around that Malta the Goya drink is a good substitute for DME if ya run out for a started

How about a full on ferment cycle after a boil and bittering hop cycle?

Any stories out there?

By all accounts it is just an unfermented porter wort at about 1.060, hopped and everything. You'd only need to boil it to get the carbonation out.

I've never heard of Malta being hopped. Though I can say it tastes like super malty wort. I'd look into what's its made of, there's probably an ingredient or 2 in there(likely preservatives) you wouldn't want in your beer.

I made two starters in the past month with Malta India. I took a tastes before pitching and it wasn't bad. I bet a good hop schedule would kick it up a notch. With that said, I shoot for a little bit more in my homebrew than, not bad. If I'm thirsty enough PBR isn't bad.

I happened to be standing in line at the bodega when I saw this thread, so I checked a bottle:

Water, pure malt, caramel malt, high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, caramel color, phosphoric acid, salt and hops.

I keep a few bottles around for an emergency. I dilute it 1:1 with water (read that here, somewhere), bring to a boil to sanitize and blow of he carbonation, cool and it's good to go.

PitchnGrin said:
I made two starters in the past month with Malta India. I took a tastes before pitching and it wasn't bad. I bet a good hop schedule would kick it up a notch. With that said, I shoot for a little bit more in my homebrew than, not bad. If I'm thirsty enough PBR isn't bad.

Lol. Believe me, I'm will NOT use this in place of grain. I figured that some must have fermented a 6 pack here or there just toy try it it.

How does corn and high fructose corn syrup ferment ?

Just found this thread, and I know it's old ..... but I'm gonna ask my question anyways, hoping I might get an answer. I once read in BYO a few years back, about using Goya Malta for a starter. That mag is packed away and will probably won't see the light of day anytime in the near future. I was at a local discount grocery store and was able to score two cases of 7 oz. bottles for $1.50 per case. My only question is how will the calcium sulfate and Phosphoriic acid affect a brew? Any takers?
Thx,
MT2sum

Back