Fermenting in growlers??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dragonfly

Reaction score
I was thinkin, I just broke out some of my so-called belgian wit, but it tastes more like a weizen-style beer. So I want to try another batch but break it up into several different boils with variables like how much orange peel/coriander, hops, dme, etc etc. Does anyone know if I can just throw a fermentation lock on a growler? I kinda think I remember reading that the glass might be too thin, but I can't think of an easier way to have a bunch of batches - I only have a couple carboys. Advice?

As long as you get a good seal and the airlock doesn't get clogged I imagine just about anything made of glass can be used as a fermenting vessel. There might be some minor logistical issues with siphoning but I don't see a problem with it.

i make a starter in my growler all the time. the drilled stopper and airlock fit perfectly. i don't think you'll have a problem.. how big are your growlers? it might be a lot of work, depending on the size.

i think it's a number 2 size stopper for the growler? maybe #3? lot's of people use growlers for starters, so i don't see why you can't do a very, very small batch of beer. basically the same thing.

that's funny about your wit. my Hairy Bavarian Wheat turned out just like Hoegarten (sp?).

Was thinking of doing a very small batch of mead in a growler since I can't necessarily tie up a bigger fermenter for a year. Anyone see any issues with that? I have never made mead, just something I've wanted to try.

I would look into getting one gallon glass jugs rather than the 1/2 gal growlers. But the time you take the losses (Head space and trub) into account you will probably only end up with about 2 pints or so.(IMO).

Cheers

Growlers will work; gallon jugs would probably be better. If you doing a lot of them, I wouldn't even worry about airlocks...loose fitting caps will work.

Something like this, maybe:
View attachment 1958

One mash, 10 different boils. 3 quarts in each jug. Cap on tight until fermentation started, then loose while it was realy going, then tight again when it slowed. Crack each cap once a day to relieve pressure. Seems to be working so far. (It'll be awhile before I brew anything that takes 7.5 hrs to boil, though ;) )

Back