Quantcast

Fermenting in growlers??

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Dragonfly

Reaction score
I was thinkin, I just broke out some of my so-called belgian wit, but it tastes more like a weizen-style beer. So I want to try another batch but break it up into several different boils with variables like how much orange peel/coriander, hops, dme, etc etc. Does anyone know if I can just throw a fermentation lock on a growler? I kinda think I remember reading that the glass might be too thin, but I can't think of an easier way to have a bunch of batches - I only have a couple carboys. Advice?

AlaskaAl(e)

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
As long as you get a good seal and the airlock doesn't get clogged I imagine just about anything made of glass can be used as a fermenting vessel. There might be some minor logistical issues with siphoning but I don't see a problem with it.

uglygoat

Reaction score
i make a starter in my growler all the time. the drilled stopper and airlock fit perfectly. i don't think you'll have a problem.. how big are your growlers? it might be a lot of work, depending on the size.

DeRoux's Broux

Reaction score
i think it's a number 2 size stopper for the growler? maybe #3? lot's of people use growlers for starters, so i don't see why you can't do a very, very small batch of beer. basically the same thing.

that's funny about your wit. my Hairy Bavarian Wheat turned out just like Hoegarten (sp?).

Batmang

Reaction score
Was thinking of doing a very small batch of mead in a growler since I can't necessarily tie up a bigger fermenter for a year. Anyone see any issues with that? I have never made mead, just something I've wanted to try.

WOP31

Reaction score
I would look into getting one gallon glass jugs rather than the 1/2 gal growlers. But the time you take the losses (Head space and trub) into account you will probably only end up with about 2 pints or so.(IMO).

Cheers

FlyingHorse

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Growlers will work; gallon jugs would probably be better. If you doing a lot of them, I wouldn't even worry about airlocks...loose fitting caps will work.

Something like this, maybe:
View attachment 1958

One mash, 10 different boils. 3 quarts in each jug. Cap on tight until fermentation started, then loose while it was realy going, then tight again when it slowed. Crack each cap once a day to relieve pressure. Seems to be working so far. (It'll be awhile before I brew anything that takes 7.5 hrs to boil, though ;) )