Fermenting in garage winter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThePrisoner

Reaction score
I want to use the garage space to ferment my beers and ciders over winter but it gets way below freezing in there.
What's the cheapest DIY way to get a fermentation temperature in there.
Old fridge?
Some other box I could make with a lizard heater or something?

If you can find an old fridge or build an insulated box attached to a mini fridge and add a temp control to turn on cooling in warmer weather and a ceramic reptile bulb for heat you should be set. Use good fireproof insulation( 1"+) on all sides and seal all the edges w/ insulating tape.
Addition of a small fan to circulate the air inside is a plus. You can get one at Wally World for under $10.
Lastly, put casters on the bottom for easy movement. You're certain to drop something behind it sooner or later!

Build a ferm chamber from a fridge or chest freezer with a dual (cooling/heating) temp control such as an STC-1000. Use a terrarium heater, seedling mat or even a simple 40w incandescent bulb in a paint can to provide heat.

Last edited by a moderator:
A fridge would be a good choice as you'd be able to use it in the summer for the same reason. If it gets way below freezing your biggest issue will be heat. I don't know if a reptile mat or light bulb would be enough, depends on a number of issues I suppose.

I fermented in a refrigerator in my garage this past winter but it never drops below freezing. As it was, a reptile mat for heat was sufficient--as long as I put a towel over it to insulate it from the ambient air and direct more heat into the fermenter.

I also have a Fermwrap, it's a better solution (IMO) than the reptile mat as it provides more heat. I got a deal on the reptile mat which is why I have one.

Here are some sources at reasonable prices for the fermwrap: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J1WZNM2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

With the STC 1000,: do you hardwire the heat source and fridge to it?
I presume if the fridge gasket is fine, it should hold heat well even at -30 Celsius outside.

The STC 1000 will have two receptacles, one for a heating device and one for a cooling device. It will control which device needs to be turned on based on temp and settings. They work great.

I have a STC1000 knock off I got on Amazon for about $10 and a heat wrap I got from NB and that works great for keeping it at the right temp. My garage does get down to the low 50's in the winter so I just have heat a just a little for ales and it is just right for lagers. :mug:

You need a project box or similar and to that you add receptacles.

My son made me one, and used a standard wall outlet for the two receptacles, each wired separately to either the heat circuit or the cool circuit.

Those STC controllers are nice if you have a place to recess it into a facade so it appears custom.

Here's an example of the kind of thing people do with them:

240d19b69667bcba7b85101c612bdda8.jpg

I eventually used an old hair dryer with the mentioned controller above, it runs for a few seconds and that is it.. I was going to use a light but the light and skunked beer (paranoid) I thought no so I tried a car interior warmer, but I guess sitting for 10 years it stopped working. Who needs a car interior warmer in Fl.. lol

I found a rubberized, heated Matt designed for melting ice and snow off off boot in northern climes. It’s moisture resistant and works well for a heat source. It kept my 7 cubic foot deep freeze at 65 in January in NW Missouri. I liked it so well I bought a second one for a refrigerator I have in my detached garage as well.

I found a rubberized, heated Matt designed for melting ice and snow off off boot in northern climes. It’s moisture resistant and works well for a heat source. It kept my 7 cubic foot deep freeze at 65 in January in NW Missouri. I liked it so well I bought a second one for a refrigerator I have in my detached garage as well.

IMG_0174.jpg

Latest posts

Back