Fermenting in buckets sucks!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've hated the bucket fermenter since the first time I used it... Which is why I've only used it twice so far... After the second time, I picked up another carboy. :D

I am migrating over from carboys to kegs for fermenting and aging in though. I have one 5 gallon corny keg primary/aging vessel as well as four 5.16 gallon (1/6 size) Sanke kegs to use for aging/fermenting... Once you remove the spear from the Sanke, a large universal bung fits perfectly in the opening. I am hunting for some tall 1/4 size Sanke kegs, so that I won't even need to use fermcap in future batches. I want the tall ones so that they take up less floor space.

I see kegs as a much better option than either carboys or buckets for beer. For one thing, zero light can penetrate the kegs. No oxygen will enter from the sides either. The opening is small, depending on which keg you get, close to a carboy, or just a little larger. They're easy to clean with a simple tool (keg cleaner on a drill does wonders, with a little PBW/oxyclean soak). Don't need to worry about scratching them either, when cleaning...

I've almost gotten past the need/desire to look at what I have fermenting. I have a honey cream ale that went into the corny keg on 2/26 and I haven't looked inside it once. After the yeast was pitched in, and the airlock went on, I've left it alone... That brew is slated for bottles this week.

I'll still make my mead in carboy's though. I do plan on aging the mead in kegs, once the batches are ready that is.

i use both. areate in the bucket by splashing in. shake the piss out of the car boy. its not that heavy. if its wet then it can be slippery, so you have to be careful, but not a huge deal. got one of those bottle jet washers so cleaning a car boy is just as easy for me. the carboy you can see through, which is cool, but it also lets light in which isn't cool. but i ferment in a dark room so its cool. (cool.) the bucket i cant see through, but the top is wider and usually just pitch and forget for three weeks or so anyway. buckets are cheaper, but i am glad i have one carboy. it just looks cool, and should last longer if i take good care of it. so i really have to say that both have their place. if you don't have one or the other, do yourself a favor and get whatever you don't have.

cheers!

I love buckets. I am doing a double dry hopped iiipa using pellets. I cannot imagine the huge mess I'd already have if I were trying to do that with carboys. With buckets, I just pull off the top and swap out a hops bag.

Buckets. I'm clumsy. Especially when drinking. Don't want to lose an arm. Or some beer.

Just came home with another bucket today. Way easier to move around, clean, dry hop, etc. I am way over gazing into my carboy.

Back