Fermenting in a whiskey barrel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbypv

Reaction score
I recently had a friend make whiskey, and he bought 3 one gallon whiskey barrels for his aging process. That allowed him to age for only a month due to the increase in surface area. Anyway, He gave me one of the barrels (mind you these are $100.00 barrels). I want to ferment a gallon of my next pale ale in it, but I am concerned on how well it will work. Has anyone done this? Can you sanitize it, or will that kill the flavor? how did you prevent the barrel from drying out between the whiskey and your next brew? Did you use it as a secondary? what brew did you make with it? Any advice or experience stories would be greatly appreciated.

Check out the latest issue of BYO magazine. A few articles about using barrels and I think they talk about sanitizing. I'm out now so don't have it in front of me.

If I had a barrel I would use it as a secondary. I would brew a 5 gallon batch. Oak the one gallon and then blend with some or all of the remaining beer to the get the flavor you want.

I have oaked a Cranberry Braggot in a small barrel. It only took 2 weeks to get a strong oak flavor.

I would check your store for current oaked beers to get an idea.

Also. Check Deep South Barrels. They have info about sanitizing and storage. I think I recall you can sanitize with 180 degree water. This also helps the barrel swell tight.

Between use you need to keep water or better yet your next beer!

Latest posts

Back