Fermenting in a large vessel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewslikeaking

Reaction score
What is the process of fermenting 2.5gallons Of wort in a 5gallon fermenter? Should I still use a blow off tube like normal?

I can never get a tight fit with the carboy cap without taping the cheap out of it. That's why I use a blow off tube. I guess my question is also, will a blow off tube setup with a 5gall carboy ferment as normal with a 2.5gallon batch ?

The fermentation will be the same with a blow off tube or an air lock.

I've read that carboy caps which spent a lot of time in cleaner or sanitizer lose the elasticity to keep a tight fit.

The fermentation will be the same with a blow off tube or an air lock.

I've read that carboy caps which spent a lot of time in cleaner or sanitizer lose the elasticity to keep a tight fit.

That's good to know. On regards to the caps- I've never seen or had one that has a tight fit.

That's good to know. On regards to the caps- I've never seen or had one that has a tight fit.

They do make at least three different size caps.
The purple ones fit my 6.5g italian glass so tight they're a ***** to remove after a cold-crash.

Except for the one I left in Star San overnight. It grew a few sizes and won't fit anything now without a steel band clamp...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back