Fermenting in a keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
OK, so I have been thinking of ways to get my fermenting vessel into a temp controlled environment and freeing up my hall closet so my wife can have it back. LOL I have looked at mini fridges and wine coolers. They all seem to have a small lower shelf that gets in the way and causes the bucket not to fit. I am still looking, but was thinking of something else that I thought might work. If I buy a used Corny keg and use it as my fermenting vessel, it will fit in the kegerator I have and I can control the temp using my InkBird. I can get a used keg for about 50 bucks, rig up a blow off tube to the pressure relief valve and off I go. Thoughts on this? Am I making this way to simple? I am sure there is more to this than I am seeing, but just thought I would ask.

Thanks in advance for the info.

Corny kegs are ~5.25-5.4 total gallons, and you need to factor krausen (esp with wheat beer yeasts) or it can get exciting. Other than that, anything that can be cleaned & sanitized, and kept closed with airlock if that's your preferred fermentation method (there are some who like open yorkshire square ferments for instance), then there's no reason it won't work.

Your idea is sound. Definitely scale your batch sizes to account for the lower volume of a used corny.

There are 6.1/23L corny kegs out there new, which allows pretty much a full 5gal beer + headspace + trub. They run in the $120 range, so not as inexpensive, but something to think about.

You can use the PRV to host an airlock, or opt to use the gas post to a blow off vessel. This is what I use. I haven't had any high krausen which has plugged the gas post (so far).

Spare fridge + $16 heat pad from amazon + Inkbird, exactly what I use. It works well.

I have looked at mini fridges and wine coolers.
Are you limited in space? What size area do you have to work with?
I'm really happy with my Midea 17-cu ft Frost-free Convertible Upright Freezer/Refrigerator.
It has a built in temperature controller and can be set to Freezer or Refrigerator mode, However, I'm still using my Inkbird controller for finer temperature control.
I've got 8 gallons of water in the bottom as a heat sink to help stabilize the temperature.

IMG_9465.jpeg
IMG_9466.jpeg

I ferment in the corny. they hold 5.5 I fill with a full 5 gal of wort and have no issues of krausen blowing out (except hefes). Use a blow off tube on the gas post.

a typical mini fridge will hold 2 cornies... but you may have to cut out the door liner and/or bend down the evaporator.

A bonus is you can serve from the same keg you ferment in.

I ferment in kegs in the same chest freezer I use to serve in. I just set it to 65 degrees. I use 4.5gal for my recipe volume. Never had a problem with any blow off. I purchased extra kegs for primary fermenters and drilled a 3/4in hole in caps for my bubblers. I then transfer to secondary keg at 1 week using gravity and CO2 through the out ports on both kegs never exposing the beer to any air or little buggies. After 2 weeks I just turn the temps to 41 degrees and start carbing.

Edit Youhave to have a total of 2 caps for each primary keg. One with a 3/4in hole drilled. You can't transfer under pressure without changing the cap to one without a hole.

Last edited:
I've been fermenting and serving from the same keg for the last 3 batches. I only brew 3 gallons so I can brew more often. Will be doing this for the foreseeable future. Been no issues at all and saves time/cleaning.

Floating dip tube can really help if you're serving from the same keg or for transfers. I've heard of people cutting the stock dip tube a bit shorter, but haven't tried it.

I use the FlotIt V2 and love it. Highly recommend them.

I use a blowtie spunding valve on the gas post, but don't always pressure ferment. I also haven't had to worry about krausen, as I don't push the volume. If I did push it I would remove the PRV and setup a blowoff /airlock on it.

O yes I forgot till 11thSt said it. I cut 1 inch off of each primary dip tube to help with cleaner transfers.

Back