Fermenting in a corny keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supahotfire

Reaction score
Hey!
I started fermenting yesterday in one of my cornys and forgot to put in a cut or floating dip tube and now have my normal length tube in there. Is there anyway to save this beer and get it into a secondary without any trub/yeast?

Transfer it to another fermenting vessel now. Or pour it into something sanitized, install a cut/floating dip tube, and pour it back. I wouldn't worry overmuch about oxygen pickup since you're at the start of fermentation.

Transfer it to another fermenting vessel now. Or pour it into something sanitized, install a cut/floating dip tube, and pour it back. I wouldn't worry overmuch about oxygen pickup since you're at the start of fermentation.
Thanks for the answer AlexKay!

Is there another way to do this? I really don't want to open the fermenter unless it's the only viable option left.

If you have another dip tube cut it, sanitize it and replace the one currently in the keg. Or remove the dip tube in the keg and cut it, sanitize and replace. Remember to release all of the pressure in the keg first.
Doing this on day one of fermentation will not be an issue.
Having to open the keg when you transfer to a new keg after fermentation will be a problem when the current dip tube clogs during transfer.

Thanks for the answer AlexKay!

Is there another way to do this? I really don't want to open the fermenter unless it's the only viable option left.
Maybe someone else will weigh in, but my thinking is that opening the keg right now, before fermentation has really started, is just aerating your wort a little late. The yeast will take care of it

@jschein is right. Just unscrew the post, pull the dip tube, and either cut it and put it back, or replace with a cut or floating tube. Pouring out into another vessel totally unnecessary.

It's day one alright but I am using voss kveik at 38 degrees celsius so it's fermenting like crazy!
@jschein That sounds like a really good solution so I will try that! Thank you both for the help!

Ok so this happened:
I released all pressure but it was really fermenting like crazy because the pressure kept on rising so i had to open the valve fully and when i unscrewed the dip tube post wort came flying out so i pushed in the new one fast and screwed it tight.

Is the fermentation ruined from all the lost yeast that probably went out with the wort or what do you guys think? It was about 3 oz that got out.

Ok so this happened:
I released all pressure but it was really fermenting like crazy because the pressure kept on rising so i had to open the valve fully and when i unscrewed the dip tube post wort came flying out so i pushed in the new one fast and screwed it tight.

Is the fermentation ruined from all the lost yeast that probably went out with the wort or what do you guys think? It was about 3 oz that got out.
It'll be fine! Indistinguishable, my guess is, from if you'd never opened the fermenter.

I’ve fermented and served from the keg with the long dip tube. After cold crashing, just start pouring until you get clear beer. I’ve found that the trub amounts to 3-4 pints.

Disclaimer-I don’t brew highly hopped beers. With a metric buttload of hop debris this method would probably clog the liquid out poppet.

Back