Fermenting in a Bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JG81

Reaction score
Hello all - so, I am doing my 2nd batch now, it is the Whiny the Younger from Jasper's Brewing. The last beer I brewed was in a Gallon Carboy, and this one is much bigger a recipe so I upgraded my kit to a 5 Gallon bucket (The Ale Pail) for Primary Fermentation.

My question is, how do I know when the Primary Fermentation is done if I can't see into the bucket, like I could the carboy?

Here's the recipe I'm following: http://www.boomchugalug.com/downloadables/recipes/whiny_the_youngster.pdf

I just don't know when to move on to secondary fermentation.

Thanks

First, unless you're going to long-term age a beer (which you won't be for this one) or adding fruit, skip the secondary altogether. You gain nothing by doing it and will increase the risk of oxidation.

I do all my fermenting in buckets. At two weeks in the primary, check the gravity. Check it again 4 days later. If it reads the same, it's ready to bottle. If you want to clarify the beer more, cold crash the primary by storing it at 35-40*F for 5-7 days before bottling.

There are hops that need to be added when it's time to do the secondary fermentation.

There are hops that need to be added when it's time to do the secondary fermentation.

You can dry hop in the primary bucket. That's what many of us do in that situation. There are some folks that believe in secondary fermenters but they seem to be in the minority.

Watching your beer ferment is fun at first but soon the novelty wears off. You won't be able to tell much about when the process is over by watching it. The best sign of fermentation being complete is when your FG remains the same for 3 days in a row. Usually takes 2-3 weeks for most ales.

Your 5 gallon bucket is probably a 6.5 gallon which is great for fermenting 5 gallons of wort. This way you have some headspace for the krausen. That's what I use.

If you want to dry hop, simply wait until fermentation is completed and dry hop in the primary a few days. No biggie.

Every Ale Pail I've seen is 6.5 gallons. I typically put about 5.25 gallons in mine so that I'm sure to end up with 5 gallons to keg/bottle.

So I added the dry hops, and now it will stay in for another two weeks. Do I keep the airlock on?

So I added the dry hops, and now it will stay in for another two weeks. Do I keep the airlock on?

Do you really want to dry hop for two weeks? I'd be concerned about getting a pronounced grassy flavor from going that long.

I'm trying to stick to the instructs as well as possible

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I've got the Chinook IPA going in my primary bucket at we speak. Thanks to the info here and help from the awesome Northern Brewer Customer Service folks I'm skipping the secondary since I only have buckets for now. Considering the recipe calls for secondary, they let me know unless I was using a carboy to just skip secondary and add a week. I added my dry hops (2oz Chinook) and am anxiously awaiting bottling day. Hope this helps ease the worry a bit. Good luck and Cheers!!

Cider123. Do you keep the same sample for 3 days or do you pull another one? I've heard of both methods but saving the first sample seems more frugal to me. Thanks for any info.

Real brewers drink those samples. Haha. I usually take samples when I'm drinking.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Home Brew mobile app

So would you all suggest the secondary dry hop for just a week?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I'm trying to stick to the instructs as well as possible

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Those instructions call for 1-2 weeks. I'd opt for the shorter time period. I'm afraid that you're not going to like the flavor after a two week dry hop. I've picked up grassy notes after a 5-6 day dry hop with Cascade, so I no longer go more than 4 days.

I always add my sample back in. Why waste good beer with every sample. As long as you sanitize properly you'll be fine.

I don't typically take more than two samples so I'm not going to risk contaminating a whole batch to save a few ounces of beer, even if the risk is small. Most batches, I end up with slightly more than will fit in the keg anyway. I also take some sips to test for mouthfeel (diacetyl in lagers and certain ales) and any unwanted flavors.

Latest posts

Back