Fermenting Fridge Thermostat (Filtrete) Controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stamandster

Reaction score
So I've been looking to make or get a cheap temp controller for my fridge. I saw the thread on the Hunter home thermostat build and decided to try it myself :)

I got the Filtrete (by 3M, cheapest dual mode un-programmable, digital thermostat) at HD on sale for $13, the 24a/240v SSR was about $5 on ebay, $5 for the 110vac to 5vdc/1000ma adapter (Job Lot, tiny!), $10 for the PVC box (4x4x4) from HD and free 14ga wire from work and 26ga @100ft speaker wire for $5 from HD (on sale).

Currently it's not setup to have a heat and cool, just cool. Hence the use of Y and RC only. It was a little frustrating because at first I didn't know if I needed the extra 5vdc adapter since the instructions said it could use the on-board battery (2 x 1.5v AAA's). But that didn't have enough oomph to switch the SSR.

Also, don't hook up a 5v for power to the thermostat itself. It will over power it, there's no regulator. You won't be able to see the screen properly. I used double sided tape to secure the SSR to the bottom of the box and thermostat to the front. I had to put the plug in at an angle in order for it to fit properly because of the type I used. It had no center screw (but I wanted a flush look and grey! oh well...)

If anyone wants to see inside the box let me know.

CAM00111.jpg

CAM00114.jpg

CAM00115.jpg

CAM00120.jpg

Nice writeup. My first controller was the Hunter but the thermistor went wonky after a while. I've been using the STC-1000 aquarium controller since then and couldn't be happier. There's a nice thread on here about it.

Latest posts

Back