Fermenting finished, question about dry hopping.(Primary vs Secondary)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Straykiller

Reaction score
Hello all, my citra IPA has fermented down from a sg of 1.048 to 1.007 and I think its time to dry hop. This has been fermenting for almost 2 weeks in a chest freezer at 65 degrees and I have been so busy I wasn't able to check it until today. The good news is it tastes good, no weird flavors that my novice pallet can detect. I think it will definitely benefit from dry hoping. I have 2oz of citra hop pellets and was planning on splitting them up into two 1oz dry hopping sessions. Is this enough for a 6 gallon batch of beer? If so can I throw them in my primary right now or should I rack to a secondary then add the hops? I do have a 5 gallon carboy that I can sanitize if needed.

thanks for the help guys. a few photos are below.

2 oz is enough...some will chime in and say add more but if that's what you got on hand then go for it.

Personally, I've never split the dry hopping...I add it all in one shot.

Yes, it is ok to dryhop in primary...no need to transfer the beer unnecessarily.

Cheers!

2 oz is enough...some will chime in and say add more but if that's what you got on hand then go for it.

Personally, I've never split the dry hopping...I add it all in one shot.

Yes, it is ok to dryhop in primary...no need to transfer the beer unnecessarily.

Cheers!

Awesome thank you.

Cold crush before kegging/bottling.

Dry hopping at lower temps. will take a lot of time. Dry hopping at 65F will be faster ( 3-7 days ) as opposed to when the beer is cold.

Agree on skipping secondary and dry hopping before cold crashing. I'd use all 2oz now, leave it 5 days, cold crash and package.

Back