Fermenting Buffalo Sweat Stout...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocC

Reaction score
Hi all. I'll be doing a modified version of the Tallgrass Buffalo Sweat Stout. Been searching for information related to the fermentation of this all-grain brew as the recipe I have from the original is showing up to 6 weeks. I suppose that is fine, but in my short time brewing it seems that 2 weeks to bottle conditioning is plenty, with hydrometer readings indicating many could even be shorter timeframes. Is there something I'm missing with this one as it will be my first stout? Thanks in advance for your suggestions on this one.

A lot of brewers find improvement both in flavor and clarity by letting the beer sit in bulk for a few weeks. Stronger and darker beers especially. Roast malts can take a little extra time to meld. More time in the fermenter also means less particulate in the bottle (and maybe glass). Low flocculating yeast also benefit from longer conditioning in the fermenter.

So yeah, the beer might be fully fermented but there are other processes going on as well. If fermentation is complete you're safe to bottle, but there may be other reasons to give it a bit more time.

Hi all. I'll be doing a modified version of the Tallgrass Buffalo Sweat Stout. Been searching for information related to the fermentation of this all-grain brew as the recipe I have from the original is showing up to 6 weeks. I suppose that is fine, but in my short time brewing it seems that 2 weeks to bottle conditioning is plenty, with hydrometer readings indicating many could even be shorter timeframes. Is there something I'm missing with this one as it will be my first stout? Thanks in advance for your suggestions on this one.
Would you mind posting recipe? I used to live in Manhattan, Ks and loved Buffalo Sweat l. Even had it on tap. I just started homebrewing recently and thought that would be a fun recipe

Would you mind posting recipe? I used to live in Manhattan, Ks and loved Buffalo Sweat l. Even had it on tap. I just started homebrewing recently and thought that would be a fun recipe

Attachments

• AG-BuffaloSweatStout_Pro_TG-1527028986628.pdf
    221.4 KB · Views: 0
Stouts are my favorite. It should be ready to bottle in 2 weeks, but give it a few weeks to blend and age and it'll be well.worth it. Taste 1 as soon as it's carbonated, then keep the rest 3 or 4 weeks and try them then. You'll see a big difference. Darks need to age some. 1 way some of us break the desire to hurry them is to drink 1 every few days and see the difference.

Thanks all!

@lumpher beat me to it with the recipe...that is the base recipe from the kit. I have never had the original and mine will be a bit different but I would be interested to know what you think @Zanatrik once you do.

My plan with this one based off @DBhomebrew is to let this one sit in primary for 3-4 weeks instead of the 2 I have been waiting (everyone seems to suggest avoiding the secondary) and then bottle condition for 2 weeks...taking readings and tasting along the way.

My OG was lower than I expected with this one even though all my other brews hit targets. My thought is that my boil wasn't as strong as it should have been, so I ended up with more wort than I would typically have left after boil off. Next time if that is the case I will turn up the boil and may give it another 20-30 minutes if I am really concerned about hitting OG...otherwise...will still be beer either way.

Back