fermenting bucket lid lifted off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vwwvgolf

Reaction score
hi,,
so i came home today and the lid had lifted off the fermenting bucket.
i know i should have a airlock on there but i have never used them due to how my first kit told me to do it and the equipment it had with it.
i used the safale us-05. ive never had a issue until this batch.

ive learn't a lesson, but will the beer still be okay? the lid was just lifted off around about half of the bucket, and where there was a gap it was full of krausen.
will it have got infected if its been like it for 12 hours?

Luck of the draw. I've had this happen twice with no issues. It's much harder (definitely not impossible, though) for anything wild to take hold when a beer is at full krausen. A fermenting beer is a tougher environment than at yeast pitch.

you probably had a good seal on the bucket this time, where as other times a non perfect seal on the bucket (common) let gas out that way. Airlocks just make it easier, but yeah your beer is fine.

I have a brewcraft 8 gal bucket and the lid does not seal and get no airlock activity so I just stop using the airlocks. The CO2 made will protect the beer :mug: Just ask these guys [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xClXKMhcFr0[/ame]

You'll be fine. The worst case is if you weren't checking it daily and found the lid near the end of fermentation. The lid is off because of the gasses the yeast are making, meaning more gas out, not much in.

If you have a lot of dust or air movement, you can leave the lid the way you found it, and cover the entire lid area and down the sides with foil. The gas will make its way down the foil allowing it to breath... sort of like this (I couldn't find a good example):

why-use-a-paint-bucket.jpg

You should be OK. But I don't understand how you can ferment in a sealed bucket without one?? Fermenting beer creates co2 and it has to go somewhere. It had to have leaked out somewhere on your previous batches or the lid would have popped off those also. Get a rubber grommet at a hardware store, I forget what the right size is, drill a hole and install the grommet then the airlock. This or a blow off tube is really necessary if you are going to put the lid on tight.

Look up "blow off tube" I suggest you use one for every batch, someday it will save you from a messy clean-up.

cheers for the feedback guys! makes me feel happier :)

it was also a brand new bucket so i guess the seal was pretty good and firm.

and lucky there will minimal spillage too haha

i guess the bucket lids make a good enough seal for nothing to get in but just bad enough to let out the co2 build up which once subsides goes back to being sealed?

like i said ive never had a issue before, and never used a airlock on a bucket. lost count of how many batches ive done without issue.

i guess the bucket lids make a good enough seal for nothing to get in but just bad enough to let out the co2 build up which once subsides goes back to being sealed?

like i said ive never had a issue before, and never used a airlock on a bucket. lost count of how many batches ive done without issue.
you might be right.. Might be better to get in the habit of using one until you know if the bucket seals tight or not. Don't want it being so tight it blows the sides out of the bucket.

Back