Fermenting at higher temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ouxly40

Reaction score
My house will not cool off enough in the summer to ferment without getting a dedicated fridge for the beer. I can maintain a constant temperature of about 71 to 72 degrees. I know this because I have a batch in that spot right now, For 3 days it has maintained this temperature. Fermentation completed in less than 30 hours. OG = 1.055 and FG(?) = 1.012. Just waiting for it to clear up a little. I used Windsor yeast which requires a little cooler temp.

Who has experience with other strains of yeast that may be more comfortable at 70 to 75 degrees? I am trying to avoid the fruity taste. My friends like it but they should brew their own beer.

The easiest thing to do for temp control is the swamp cooler. I go up as high as I can with the water, then use the t-shirt as a wick to draw the water up as a wick around the rest of the fermenter.

fermenting.jpg

brewcloset1.jpg

Basically it is a rubbermade bin, water, some frozen water bottles (you ca also chuck rock salt in) and t-shirts over the fermenters to act as wicks, drawing the cold water up and around the fermeters.

I have gotten the water in the swamp cooler down to the high 50's and the fermenter a few degrees higher.

A fan blowing on it can be used as well.

I fill up much higher than in pic 1, I did that to temp control the small batch in the mr beer keg. Normally I go pretty close to the level of that indentation.

Back