fermenting and serving in the same keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool, thanks. I am using WY1388 Belgian Strong Ale yeast. It's a low flocc and the slurry I've saved before was pretty thin, even after decanting. I was planning to help it along with a gelatin addition at cold crash, but am worried that will gum it up and clog the dip tube. That's my big concern really.

never used gelatin so I can't answer that, but WY1007 German Ale I use all the time and it is whispery, taking a long time to finally settle in the keg and stay down.

I did a Kolsch with that one recently, so I know exactly what you mean! Even took the gelatin longer than usual to clear it up!

I recently bought a floating dip tube and plan to do a no boil neipa (with most of the hops in a cylindrical hop can. I think that might be a good beer to try this process as it will definitely reduce/eliminate O2 exposure. Any ideas or concerns would be appreciated.

I brew 11 gallons split in 3 kegs with floating dip tubes. I connect the kegs together and the last one has a spunding valve on it. Its set at 5 for fermentation and 20-30psi after 3 days. If I dry hop, I'll add them after a day. Ferment and serve from the same kegs. I can brew and drink within a week if I want.

I brew 11 gallons split in 3 kegs with floating dip tubes. I connect the kegs together and the last one has a spunding valve on it. Its set at 5 for fermentation and 20-30psi after 3 days. If I dry hop, I'll add them after a day. Ferment and serve from the same kegs. I can brew and drink within a week if I want.

what kind of screen do you use on your floating dip tubes to keep the dry hops from clogging it?

what kind of screen do you use on your floating dip tubes to keep the dry hops from clogging it?
It's a wine filter. I made some MK1 floating dip tube from this site: http://think.gusius.com/category/diy-projects/the-brewery/

Before using floating dip tubes, I would remove the keg poppet and the quick connect guts and I'd have no problem serving IPAs from the fermenter. You just have to be mindful and release the head pressure before disconnecting. Very simple setup.

Anybody have any more updates on their results with serving from primary?

image0.jpg
IPA's here we come!

I'll chime in. I've written about this technique on HBT before, when I was first trying it, but I've got some more months of evaluation to consider.

First, the top draw systems... They are overall a good thing and I've kept using them. They give you clear beer sooner than a bottom feeding dip tube. However, unlike with a dip tube, which draws off trub and removes it from the keg permanently, this never happens with a top draw system. The trub remains in the beer until it's finished, and you'll deal with it in your final pours - vs. your early pours. It's kind of a wash in that regard.

Second, fermenting and serving from the primary keg. I have done it with 4-5 brews. A couple were great! But I found that with some yeasts, particularly lager strains, these stayed buoyant in the lower area of the keg after even a few months, ultimately compromising the clarity and quality of the beer perhaps 2/3 of the way through. Yuck. And cleaning is definitely more cumbersome; it's like cleaning your fermenter and keg in one go.

Still I think I will select some beers to handle this way, because I do think it results in a very fresh product. You just have to use flocculant yeast for best results.

Back